J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know absolutley nothing about engines and was wondering, what can I do to a 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 to make it go faster? and where can I find parts to do this... I would like to get it going as fast as possible while staying in budget and street legal, also how does on get an engine to stick out of the hood.. .I would love to put and engine that does this in my z24, Is this practical? Where can I find out more info on this kinda stuff? Ive been looking...

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Dyslexia? Do you mean a 1989? Since that is what you have in the registry.

Why do you want an engine sticking out the hood!? Maybe if you had a 69 Dodge Charger 500 or something....

·
Registered
24 Posts
the new cavs with the 2.4 are a bitch to work on i tore one out bout 2 months ago, there is some thigs that you can do to them, my buddie has one, but lets put it this way if ur water pump goes in it if you dont know how to do it better figure, this is what i heard 1200$ for the labor, since there is not alot of room u have to take off the motor mounts on the pass side and jack up the engine, and still not too much room if u do it ur self plan on busted knuckels and alot of swearing...although more to the subject i hear that u can get different cams and cold air and a chip with out spending an arm and a leg, i will keep u all posted on what i hear from my friend.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I only paid 300 to get a new pump installed and do all the work on my 2.4 twin cam z24(except for the ehaust welding). That seems to be the first problem 3rd gens have is the water pump at around 60,000 miles or so. Other than that I have have only worked on it when adding performance mods. I even "helped"(I mostly watched but changed the spark plugs, fule pump) install the turbo on my cavalier and am very comfortable. I dont have another car to compare( i never worked on my car myself before this cavalier) But I have had no problems getting under the hood.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
whisper the bloswer or thing that sticks out of the hood wouldnt make much sense on your 2.4 liter. If you really want performance check out my turbo kit. I will have the dynos this week and post them. If you arent looking to spend that much money you can always go with cool air intake, larger and better flowing headers and exhaust, 62mm throtle body, ported intake manifold. Or you could get a 75 shot of nitrous but I cant say how long your engine last. Also you could port, polish get a 3 or 5 angle valve job on the head. All these mods would yeild power gains.

G

·
Hey Darknight you sure as hell do know a lot about performace stuff... and yet you hardly work on your own car?? damn thats odd... shit I know shit loads about cars and I do all the work my car.. I am in the prossece of changing all the bearing in the bottem end

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I can work on cars and for the most part I do work on my car but I have one full time job and then my bussiness. there just isnt enough time in a day to do everything. The shop I work out of has their own lift welder and dyno so they did all of the welding and piping. And by the time I get off it is too late to tear apart my bottom end. As soon as I have more time I will definately do all my work and pull my engine myself and upgrade but for now I just dont have time. But thats great to hear you do your own work. :D

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
hopefully once i take that mechanics course, i'll be able to work on my car more, like engine internals and stuff :D

maybe some of you guys that know internal workings, can teach me a thing or two :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
i usaully learn about things by being around them and reading alot about them...like i always read the how to section and i always read posts and magazines...now i still dont know too much about cars...but i wold love to learn to work on my cavalier on my own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts