J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what you guys think is the best glue to attach vinyl to the headliner? I used spray cans of adhesive last year. I bought it at joann fabrics. It lasted about a year, my headliner started sagging yesterday. :cry: It is the real thick vinyl, I need something stronger than the spray adhesive. I think the stuff I had was loc-tite spray adhesive. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
blondiez24 said:
I need to know what you guys think is the best glue to attach vinyl to the headliner? I used spray cans of adhesive last year. I bought it at joann fabrics. It lasted about a year, my headliner started sagging yesterday. :cry: It is the real thick vinyl, I need something stronger than the spray adhesive. I think the stuff I had was loc-tite spray adhesive. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
Stitch some cross car seams through the cardboard... should never sag again :wink:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't really want stitching on the headliner, I wanted it to be smooth vinyl. The last stuff I bought was like $8.00 a can, I had to get 2. It must not of been very strong because I used alot, and I let it set like devon said. Where idd you get the 3m stuff at? What is the stuff you talking about andystepper? Someone help I can't stand a sagging headliner! :x

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my friends suggested that I take some clear coat. or paint and spray the board the headliner attaches to, then scuff it with sandpaper before glueing it on again. He said it would prolly give a little better of a hold for the glue to stick to. I was wondering what you guys thought about this idea? Also where did you get that 3M-8090? I was reading about that it looks like it would be pretty good. Is it available at like lowes, or like a auto shop?

·
Registered
270 Posts
blondiez24 said:
One of my friends suggested that I take some clear coat. or paint and spray the board the headliner attaches to, then scuff it with sandpaper before glueing it on again. He said it would prolly give a little better of a hold for the glue to stick to. I was wondering what you guys thought about this idea? Also where did you get that 3M-8090? I was reading about that it looks like it would be pretty good. Is it available at like lowes, or like a auto shop?
I put several layers of flat black semi gloss house paint on under side of my headliner board, it soaked it up like a sponge, let it dry for weeks just because i didnt need it finished right away.
Then bought a gallon can at Lowes of the Gel, contact cement. brushed two coats on board, letting each dry, and 2 on headliner material, in my case it was original foam with cloth cover, and believe me, when it "contacts" the board, it better be in the right place because it isnt coming off again.
Be aware tho, this cement needs tested on a scrap piece of what ever you are putting on the board because the cement will soften/melt some plastics/vinyls.
Also if used on foam backed material, it has to be put on very lightly with each coat or it will soak in and when you press the material to the board, well...... ill just say it wont be pretty, best here is to experiment with a scrap first. But done right, it wont sag again till the foam rots up as it always does after time.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey carpoor what was the contact cement you used called? Also how much was it? Do you think I should spray some paint or clear coat on the board so it'll stick better? Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
270 Posts
blondiez24 said:
hey carpoor what was the contact cement you used called? Also how much was it? Do you think I should spray some paint or clear coat on the board so it'll stick better? Thanks for all the help guys
Hold on, ill go look at can..........

Ok, cement is made by "DAP" its called "Weldwood" Gel formula, Contact Cement.
I bought a gallon can for 18.00 and change at LOWES.

I dont know about spray paint, never tried it, but as i said, several coats of flat paint i put on mine all soaked in like a sponge.
"LIL TIP" If you have cracked or torn area's on edges of the board, you can lay glue over them, cut patches from something like jean pants, yes regular material, and soak patch with glue, and lay it over the tear and press it down well, let dry and it makes a nice patch.
My board had both area's where the sun visors go ripped out, i cut them out square, cut matching filler pieces from heavy cardboard (not corrugated) glued them in, patched over both sides with piece of material, and recut center hole for visor, better/stronger than original.
Will also say, paint heavy the top side too, makes board a lot stronger with several coats of brush on paint. Just go to Wally World and buy a 10.00 gallon of flat house paint, tho i imagine semi gloss would work too, or even gloss.
Spray cans arent going to do much unless you put on one heck of a lot.
One other thing i did on top of another just because i had the stuff on hand, i covered it with driveway sealer, the stuff is called "coal tar emulsion" soaks in and drys hard. DONT use this on bottom tho, glue might melt it.I just used it because that board was very weak.
Worse problem i see with what you are doing is these head boards arent real smooth, so its possible you may see that through the vinyl
With foam backed original material, the foam thickness hides all the roughness of the board.
I have even covered boards with blankets, yes a bed blanket, one i did was tiger stripped (white with black stripes) another had a lions head in center that reached from side to side of board. Possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I had covered it last year with black marine vinyl, from joann fabrics. It went down really smooth, and stayed good for about a year. It just started sagging. Will this contact cement allow me to smooth down the vinyl? Like could i put a bunch of the cement on then lay the vinyl down, and like smooth it out really good?

·
Registered
270 Posts
blondiez24 said:
well I had covered it last year with black marine vinyl, from joann fabrics. It went down really smooth, and stayed good for about a year. It just started sagging. Will this contact cement allow me to smooth down the vinyl? Like could i put a bunch of the cement on then lay the vinyl down, and like smooth it out really good?
Its a gel, or you can get non gel, either one will lay down flat brushed onto the board, thing is, need to put a coat on, let dry like a hour, put on another, let dry, till whole board shows glue and no soaked in dull area's.
Read the can, this glue is applied to both board and what you are putting on the board, and IS allowed to "setup" before putting them together, if glue is wet still, it wont hold well.
Yes you can "over apply" in a spot and get a gooey lump if let dry and not brushed out, test apply it on top of board or something.
But if its used properly, when covering glue touches board glue, its there to stay...... It is what they use to put laminate sheets down on kitchen counter tops.
Can says " laminates, Veneers, foam, cloth, metal, leather, wood, particle board,plywood, fiberglass. (( as i said, test on vinyl, make sure it doesnt soften/melt it.)) you can buy small cans as well.
But as with anything you have no experience with, do a test glue with a small piece like maybe on the top side of board. And be very careful you trap no air or let it touch anyplace you dont want it, it will stick instantly and you will end up with trapped air bubbles..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.