J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i just got my cat cut out and it was running great, then tonight me and a friend hooked an amp up to my subs and then we unhooked it and on my car home, my car would run great, but as soon as u pushed in the clutch or put it into neutral, the rpm drops to 500 and it either stays there or else stalls... could this be a fuel filter or sumthin else??
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
No, probably due to the lack of catalytic converter.

Fix that first and then look at other things.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can't afford a new cat :eek: , i don't see hwo that would do that.. if anything u think it'd run better without one becuz there is less backpressure
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
i can't afford a new cat :eek: , i don't see hwo that would do that.. if anything u think it'd run better without one becuz there is less backpressure
Nope, the ECM is tuned run with a cat, among other things and is a myth that removing or bypassing it helps performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well how do all these other guys run their cars with no cat and have no problem? is there anyway to fix it so u don't have to put a car on?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
well how do all these other guys run their cars with no cat and have no problem? is there anyway to fix it so u don't have to put a car on?
Who says they don't have problems?

Put a cat on the car again and be done with it, there is no reason to remove it, plus a cat does help keep the environment clean.

The only time I will ever remove, actually, bypass my cat is when I run leaded racing fuel, which I know you are not. Any other time, it, will be on the car helping keep emisions down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
the_raven said:
sask_cruiser said:
well how do all these other guys run their cars with no cat and have no problem? is there anyway to fix it so u don't have to put a car on?
Who says they don't have problems?

Put a cat on the car again and be done with it, there is no reason to remove it, plus a cat does help keep the environment clean.

The only time I will ever remove, actually, bypass my cat is when I run leaded racing fuel, which I know you are not. Any other time, it, will be on the car helping keep emisions down.
No CAT here, zero problems. I do agree that you should still get one, keep the environment clean.

-John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
screw the enviroment, so many people drive cars that puff out blue smoke lol... and besides my cat was plugged pretty good... it would barely run, and it also rattled.. but i found out the problem.. that one guy was right, it was just the idle relearn... it's all better now 8)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
screw the enviroment, so many people drive cars that puff out blue smoke lol... and besides my cat was plugged pretty good... it would barely run, and it also rattled..
It's because of opinions like this, that your licence and right to own a car should be revoked. Do you realize how much polution cars create, even ones who are running properly and a low poluters?

I hope you remember what you typed here when your kids are born with emphasima, bad heart problems, asthma, etc.

What's with the "well if they can do it, so will I attitude when it comes to things like this? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well first of all u give me the $100 to put a new cat on my car, then maybe i will... i can't afford to put a new cat on. also it's not like my car is gonna hurt it alot more, when there are guys out there drag racing their cars every weekend when they have car with motors like 502's and 426's and stuff like that... not like my car is gonna make much more of a difference, if u want to make a difference, go after those drag racers and not me. also i think the guys that should have their license taken away are the moron's that don't know how to drive, not sumone that has an opinion on sumthin, be just like if i said u should have yours taken away because you think what i did is stupid
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
well first of all u give me the $100 to put a new cat on my car, then maybe i will... i can't afford to put a new cat on. also it's not like my car is gonna hurt it alot more, when there are guys out there drag racing their cars every weekend when they have car with motors like 502's and 426's and stuff like that... not like my car is gonna make much more of a difference, if u want to make a difference, go after those drag racers and not me. also i think the guys that should have their license taken away are the moron's that don't know how to drive, not sumone that has an opinion on sumthin, be just like if i said u should have yours taken away because you think what i did is stupid
No see that's not it at all, the way I see it, if you can't afford to fix your car, then don't own one, simple as that.

You think that those drag cars polute more than your car, please don't get me started on how wrong that is, ok, you did, so now I will put you in your place and show you how wrong you are.....

Those drag cars, run for about 3 minutes per run, they are highly tuned, and actually runing quite clean, since they don't idle long, which the point at which most polutants apear in the tail pipe, not when under load, going down the strip. It's all thermodynamics vs power potential.

Now your car runs probably for a minimum of 20 minutes each time you start it, idling most of the time it is running, for stop signs, traffic lights, even just slow traffic.

So now since we know polution IS a problem in todays society, why would you refuse and make poor excuses for not doing your part. I am a firm believer in emissions testing, as it ensures cars are not making our environment worse now and in the future.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you can't afford to repair your car don't drive, this applies to both safety issues and emmisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i could afford to fix my car, but at the moment i can't because i have no cash for about a month, and for one thing, there are other things polluting the air too.. factories, garbage dumps, sewage, all sorts of things. and trying to convince sumone to put a cat on their car isn't going to help much seeing as all that pollution from factories isn't going to stop for quiet awhile
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and as for this topic.. i am done arguing and i am going to now shut up and forget about this, and just continue to work on my car
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
i could afford to fix my car, but at the moment i can't because i have no cash for about a month, and for one thing, there are other things polluting the air too.. factories, garbage dumps, sewage, all sorts of things. and trying to convince sumone to put a cat on their car isn't going to help much seeing as all that pollution from factories isn't going to stop for quiet awhile
Nice to see how you try and pass the blame. :roll:

We are each responsible for our own actions, not because of what others do. :roll:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,045 Posts
migzz said:
yea ever hear of global warming bastard.....
just playing i have no cat either
as long as everyone in the whole world that owns a car rips off their cat i dont see a problem
Again, the whole "If their doing it so will I" mentality.

And who all is ripping their cats off, last time I looked under my truck, there was a cat, that I used to replace the old one that was on thier, I look under my girlfirends car and yep, there's one there as well, under my grandfathers truck, check, grandma's car, uh huh along with a lot of other cars I see.

Why do people believe this myth that emissions controls effect performance? If they are integrated correctly they do not effect performance at all and can actually help.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top