J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago about my starter bein broken, I bought a new one and some of you guys mentioned shims, I havent taken my old starter out and dont plan on it, my brothers work (Mobil) is gonna replace it for me for just 1 hour labor fee as long as I buy the parts, so Im wondering what else should I get, should I get the shims as everyone is talkin about, Ive also been told that sometimes the flywheel needs to be replaced too. I just want to get everythin I need first before I go to Mobil because its out of town. thanks for all the help I can get.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Well unless your going to be replacing something else I'd say the only thing u need to replace is the starter... Just take the old one out and stick the other one it. I don't see nething else that you would need to replace..

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
if there werent any shims i wouldnt worry about it, but like mentioned above if there are shims you have to put them back

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Generally as said, if there was a shim, using that same one is fine, there are times when they do need to be changed, due to manufactruing tolerances, where the starter gear is in a different position in relation between the the starter gear and flywheel/flexplate. It's something you can only find by installing the starter and starting the engine, listening for signs of being too close or too far away.

If it binds, or drags it needs more shim(s).

If it's grinds and sounds like only the tips of the gears are meshing, then it needs less shim(s).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.