J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making full use of this nifty new site...

A while ago my brakes started popping occassionally. I'd stop at a red light or something, and when I let my foot off the brake, I wouldn't go forward under idle until something popped. I think in the front? We couldn't look at it, since we were financially strapped, and eventually it went away altogether.

Now, the emergency brake light is on. It started flashing a second when turning left. Then it started staying on longer. Turning right always turned it off. Now it is staying on after a left turn and occassionally coming on randomly while driving straight. Still goes off after a right turn. Everything feels like its working normally.

Also, the car has started surging. Usually after my fiance drives it. Turning the car on, it has developed a high idle- 2000rpm- until it gets puts into a gear. The red car I had did this also, but with all the other stuff wrong with it, I don't remember what they did to fix it. I haven't tried the idle relearn yet, but think that will do it?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
redeyedtreefr0g said:
Making full use of this nifty new site...

A while ago my brakes started popping occassionally. I'd stop at a red light or something, and when I let my foot off the brake, I wouldn't go forward under idle until something popped. I think in the front? We couldn't look at it, since we were financially strapped, and eventually it went away altogether.

Now, the emergency brake light is on. It started flashing a second when turning left. Then it started staying on longer. Turning right always turned it off. Now it is staying on after a left turn and occassionally coming on randomly while driving straight. Still goes off after a right turn. Everything feels like its working normally.

Also, the car has started surging. Usually after my fiance drives it. Turning the car on, it has developed a high idle- 2000rpm- until it gets puts into a gear. The red car I had did this also, but with all the other stuff wrong with it, I don't remember what they did to fix it. I haven't tried the idle relearn yet, but think that will do it?
Try cleaning out the IAC motor on the throttlebody for the surging, then do an idle relearn.

for the ebrake.. Check the connection on the ebrake handle under the console, your plug my be loose and probly just wobbling around with the G forces of the corners your taking.

for Brakes popping... My old brakes did that... one of my caliper slides was seized and was clunking pretty bad. Do a visual analysis of the fronts and see if any pad has more wear than the next. same with the rears. pop off the drum covers and inspect the amount of meat left on the shoes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, it will be a while before I can fix the brakes- whether its checking a connection for the emergency brake, or if the light is on for the actual brakes, which I know need replacing by now.

Good news, sort of- I got a nail in my crappy tires, so I got 4 new tires and an alignment, and now the car drives almost awesomely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.