J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres a tough one. My mom has a 94 RS wagon w/ abs, and every now and then, the brake pedal is VERY touchy. I backed it out of the driveway the other day (when my car was out of comission) and hit the brakes a little bit, and the whole car jerked HARD and screeched to a stop (from 5mph). Ok, whatever, so i start heading out of my development, and hit the brakes a little, and it almost jerks to a complete stop from like 10-15 mph. So it stopped doing that then, and then i hit the brakes once more, and the rear wheels locked up (I know whats going on in the rear...the shoes need to be filed at the edges). Then it was ok.

But WHAT the HELL is going on with the whole car jerking to a stop?!
It doenst do it alot, and it needs new rotors up front (very warped), but is this causing the problem? or is it something in the ABS system? maybe master cylinder? ..........

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
50 bucks per rotor, and 50 bucks for raybestos quiet stop pads, and 30 bucks for rear shoes + my pepboys discount. It needs the rotors bad though, I mean the whole front of the car vibrates when the brakes are applied (lol, its kinda funny). But u think thats causing the lockup? It only does it for the first few min. of driving.... and on a rare occasion.

·
Registered
582 Posts
$50 for a J-car rotor? That thing better be cast out of solid gold.

Normally you can find rotors around the $15 range, and the quality won't be any less. Most all late 80s/early 90s GM FWDs use the same rotor, and they're all paper thin.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
50 bucks for canadian made raybestos, or 20 bucks for shitty china made junk...............at least thats what they got @ pepboys, we dont like the china made junk out in the shop, weve had problems of getting bad rotors right off the shelf, never have that problem with raybestos.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The ABS becomes more sensitive when your brakes are in need of replacement. If the ABS light isnt comming on then I wouldnt worry about it. When you do a brake job, you shouldt have the problem. Just remember to adjust the back brakes down a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.