J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 Z , 2 problems with rear brakes, i am new to Cavy's but have ownded other GM's, and never had
the lack of feel in the brakes as this Z has, i put in new rear wheel cylinders and shoes, adjusted. Has good pads and rotors and calipers, no leaks. They stop you pretty good, front tires will slide easily when testing on gravel road, rear brakes wont slide at same time unless you mash pedal hard as you can,then barely do then, is this normal for these?

Also, brake pedal travel, seems to go down way more than other GM's i have had, once down, brakes feel normal, just a lot of travel, is this normal? cousin says his is same way. Master cyl "seems" good. Its bled to within a inch of its life,and has new brake hoes on it. still no better.Normal or?
Is this way the disc brake upgrade on rear is so popular?

And....... did anyone ever run into this on the rear drum brakes, ill try to explain, you know where the top, sorta "C" shape cut outs on upper edge of the shoes contact the anchor at top of the backing plate? mine wont unless you leave the E brake flat rod that runs from shoe to shoe out. With that rod installed, top of shoes sit approx. 3/32 or so away from anchor.(other side of car is normal)
Yes i thought it was a tight cable, but it will do this with cable unattached as well. Its not the wheel cyl. because shoes will make contact as long as the E brake flat rod is left out. I have looked and looked at everything, compared shoes to other shoes, made sure the right parts are installed, still cant figure out why it is like that, never had a car where the shoes wouldn't touch the anchor before.

I tried deepening the notch that fits over the shoe contact point on the flat rod by 1/8" , that worked fine to get shoes to make contact, BUT....... it screwed up the E brake holding power on that wheel, the right rear will slide the tire after about 4 clicks on E brake handle, but no matter how hard you pull handle, left rear will not lock. So unless this setup is just a bad design ??, i suppose its cause that flat rod is shorter, yes i know it seems like a tight cable, but i know for sure the cable is as loose as a new one right out of the box.

also adjusted the equalizer on rear axle cable to where both rear wheels started to hold. And they seem like they are fine while back end is on a jack, turning tires by hand. But on the ground, nooooooooo

i did this with E brake handle up 2 clicks, which with all the travel the E brake handle has, it should easily slide the back wheels, and it does, but only on one wheel, even on black top 4 clicks up and right wheel will slide, left one wont slide even on gravel no matter how much you pull handle up. Just at a loss as what to try, or what is going on.
Id love to go disc , maybe in future when i have more free money, but for now.....
Just wondering if anyone has had same problems with this on a Cavy

Mainly i want to know if the rears not sliding with service pedal is normal, and if long pedal travel travel is normal, thanks for any replies.

P.S. I have been doing brakes and mechanic work for 30+ years, even worked as mechanic, non ASE, and never saw this type of crap before, only saying this to say yea, been there done that as far as brakes go so i know what i am doing, just dont know what this damn car is doing. lol
Any input apperciated

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
i didnt read all that ha.

but cavaliers have bad brakes. period.

search tree_z24 , he had a huge post of brakes and such. best advice i can give you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, and dont take this wrong, but what good is a msg board if guys dont help one another figure out whats wrong with things?
I was trying to find out if these cars ALL have a lot of pedal travel in them before the brakes actually start working.
And, if anyone ran into the E brake problem i have and if they have found out why and how to fix ?

I mean come on, if i would have posted one or two sentences, you would be telling me, "more info needed!!"

But.... okay. Cavys have bad brakes you say? how? in what way?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
well, lets see.... you said it's bled good, so we can throw that out.... i know mine has way too much travel right now, but that's cause it's got air in the lines. i was always comfortable with the pedal travel, but it's been damn near 8 months since i've driven the thing so we'll see once i'm back on the road(just a couple days now) lol

as for the ebrake, sounds like one of the cables may be stretched out, or maybe even snapped....that's all i can really think of for that problem...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I find these cars do have a little bit of a soft brake peddle. (make sure your rear shoes are not upside down eh?)

The other thing I can think of is time. When I redone my brakes, and bleed every line till all the old stuff was out and no more rust color came out. Well, My brakes were soft for about a month.. now its all settled into place and work well.

I do not have any issue with the e-brake. That is why I say to recheck that the shoes on that side are on properly. (even with years of experience... its possible to misplace something from time to time... you know, didn't have my coffee today type excuse... but it happens to us all at some point)

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Dude off topic but you wouldn't happen to have been driving down Coastal Highway in Ocean City back in the beginning of august were you? I saw a black phase 1 Z down there on vacation, just wondering if it was you. :pimp:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks for all the brain storming about this.
Instead of replying to each, ill make it short,
I have never been in Ocean City ever..
and today i found the whole problem,

See i replaced the shoes, but i did one side after dark, and the other the next day, and trying to determine the problem, i pulled the problem side several times over days, no luck.But never the working side.

So today cousin came around with his car and i pulled his left rear "just to look" i found the problem...
Yes i reinstalled it wrong, but i reinstalled it same as it was, and that was the flat hanging down arm that connects to the E brake cable, someone before me put it on the wrong side of the shoe! And sonce i didnt do both at same time, never noticed it was different than the other side

Now as i type, E brake equalizer is backed off, E brake will slide both back wheels easily at same time, and for what ever reason, my service brake pedal has lost a lot of its travel.

Now just a FYI, i have a wife, 3 kids,all ranging between 23 and 32. 2 step kids, , a house, 3 cars, 2 tractors, 8 grand kids, a cat, a dog, a garden, 3 pc's. and NO, i am not bragging at all, those are why sometimes when i make a post, i am a bit less than, well.... maybe ill just say, those are why i seem a bit hostile! LOL sooooo, just ignore it. And thanks again to all answering...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.