J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My school {wyotech}let me actually walk through the trailers an RVs of the Topfuel Funny car/Dragsters etc ..This was the on that really caught my attention CHECK IT OUT

This is what i know for sure
2007 Cobalt
ecotec 4 cylinder RWD
1100 hp ???? tq
4 speed
42 psi boost
1/4 -7.60s @ ???

I didnt get to ask my questions to him but maybe you guys know them
1.Why 2 BOVS and 2 Gates w/single turbo
2.wtf is that valve below the IC but above the A-arm for
3.WTF is up with the intercooler an why did they put the BOVs on each bank

Attachments

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
nope. its simply to let the boost out quicker. 42psi is alot of pressure to release. 2 BOV release the pressure faster so it doesn't hurt the turbo. Same deal with the dual wastgates.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
easye said:
nope. its simply to let the boost out quicker. 42psi is alot of pressure to release. 2 BOV release the pressure faster so it doesn't hurt the turbo. Same deal with the dual wastgates.
x2

and yeah that intercooler is a water to air. they usually put dry ice in there iirc.

Sweet ride, bet it would be a blast on the street :D haha

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Haha, that looks nothing like a Cobalt, might as well call it a Chevette. Nice motor build though ;-)

G

·
nice, looks unlike a balt because its just pics of the engine. But what car w/ that power actually "looks" like a factory car anyway. :D

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
easye said:
I understand the BOV part but not wastegate

if your running 42psi that means the wastegate shouldnt be open very much (unless if that turbo is capable of making some insane boost) but 42psi out of 1 turbo seems like it should be maxxed out basically... so I would think just 1 big wastegate would do the job

in the pic I only see 1 wastegate anyways lol

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
As stated the duel 'gates and BOVs are to control the high amount of boost.

Some people will use dual 'gates to have one open at a lower boos setting, to create a different slew rate to the boost curve.

The IC is a liquid to air set-up, as mentioned ice or dry ice is usually mixed in the IC.

I don't see this other valve that you are talking about.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
I think I see the valve you are asking about, it's a red handle on a ball valve, correct?

That looks to simply be a drain for the IC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.