J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was goin to go with and the 3400 but i decided to see what i can do with a 3.1 before i do it and this winter im goin to start the 3.1 what have people done and what worked well for yas ?????

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
3.1's are old school

i built a hybrid kind of a mix of both, and still very disappointed, why not look into something else instead of just wasteing your time and money

a 3400/3500 would be ideal these days

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I know that all these guys will say the same thing...Get a 3400/3500 yada yada.

If you want to build a 3.1L then go for it. I am. And I know how hard good engine ie; 3X00 can be back east to find at a good price.

There are a few guys on this site that have done a 3.1 Build and have been happy with it. I will be one of those guys as well.

Keep me updated on what parts you are thinking of going with.

Here is my build list for the Top End, etc..It may help you out:
3.1L Block/Heads
P&P UIM/LIM & Heads
H272 CraneCam
LS6 Valve Springs
Valve Spring Shims
Comp Roller Tip Rockers
Comp Lifters
Comp Timing Chain/Gears
19lbs Injectors
FFP UDP
Fidenza 9lb Flywheel
Centerforce Clutch
Custom Headers/Exhaust
MSD DIS4
MSD Coils
GM RapidFire Plugs
MSD Wires
100HP N20 Custom Built Kit
Custom Chip Programed by ME :D

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
mstreim said:
whitelightning2 said:
have fun bending pushrods and flattening lobes on your cam.. LS1's aren't gonna work :wink:
whys that there are plenty of tgp running that cam with ls1 having no problems at all and im joining the bunch there
they must have machined out the spring pockets then..

It's simple math, 1.68 install height minus 1.25 coil bind = .430 lift.. the H272 is .454 intake/.480 exhaust.

why would they use that cam for boost? there are better oprioins..

·
Registered
538 Posts
Check out jjz24 and treez24, they both have pretty quick 3.1s, altho Brad (treez24) has a 3x00 hybrid.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well if you wana build a 3.1 and are looking for some parts, I have some stuff that never got used. Let me know if you would be interested.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
whitelightning2 said:
have fun bending pushrods and flattening lobes on your cam.. LS1's aren't gonna work :wink:
had me thinking for a min there. My typo. LS6 Valve Springs. And I did a lot of research on this one. I think I had a post on this site actually on what springs to go with.

I am not boosting my engine right away but that is not saying I wont be. :wink:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Welcome 3.1 builder!

Well lots of things have been done. Turbos/Superchargers/Strokers

Just depends on how far your pocket will go.

And I am sorry to say that alot of people use the term "waste money". Wasting money would be buying a 10,000 sqf house that you dont really want or wouldn't use all the space. If you want to sup up a 3.1 then by god do it. Its not wasting money if you want to do it. Granted better options for the money for hp wise yes. And to be honest if you wanted a 3x00 Z I think i've seen a couple on ebay for less and 4k so that would be the best option lol. I think the one I saw most rescent is a red Z but I think the guy said it cant be driven on the road for some reason so I believe he is parting it out.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I don't see why you guys would spend the money to p&p 3.1 top end when it still won't flow as good as a 3x00 top end, which i'm sure you could get for less than half what you will spend on a good p&p on the 3.1 stuff..

But its yer money... and motor...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
im building my 3.1 also, and a p&p is easily done with a dremal find someone who is good with one and there ya go.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
1fastcavi said:
oh shut up dave :p hell thats what they use at the local performance shop.
they are idiots, never go there again. :wink:

there is no way you can possibly expect to port a set of heads with a dremel, you'd burn it up.. no to mention you could only get like 1" inside the port.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You can gasket match your heads and intake with a dremel, but i doubt you'll see any gains from that..

Very few people on here have the proper equipment to do a good p&p job..

And again, i'll ask WHY? No amount of work on the 3.1 top end will flow as well as STOCK 3x00 top end, which can be had for about $100 at any j/y, or even e-bay.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
it might look like a dremel but it'll be an electric die grinder for sure. air tools would kill ya for porting long term, electric is the way to go.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
treeZ24 said:
it might look like a dremel but it'll be an electric die grinder for sure. air tools would kill ya for porting long term, electric is the way to go.
naaa, air tools.. they don't overheat and if you bind it up it won't rip out of your hand.. it'll just stop :wink:

i've done 4 sets of heads, 4 LIM's and 4 plenums along with a few other things.. never had a problem with my air die grinder. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.