J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my cavalier back up and running. Now Im just waiting on a new alternator after $300 was spent. A 250 amp alt. isnt friendly with the money.

So my project is doing a CAI setup. Im in need of doing a tune-up so Im thinking about doing this while Im working on it. What is the best way to do a setup? I also want to get rid of the POS rubber hose. Any pictures, help, and suggestions are great!! Also, can anyone think of a mod worth the time to do to a stock 3.1 auto Z24?

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
chevyman001 said:
Well, I got my cavalier back up and running. Now Im just waiting on a new alternator after $300 was spent. A 250 amp alt. isnt friendly with the money.

So my project is doing a CAI setup. Im in need of doing a tune-up so Im thinking about doing this while Im working on it. What is the best way to do a setup? I also want to get rid of the POS rubber hose. Any pictures, help, and suggestions are great!! Also, can anyone think of a mod worth the time to do to a stock 3.1 auto Z24?

Thanks Guys!
I bought a late 80's early 90's CRX/Civic intake from ebay and chopped it up to fit. Works great, my air filter is about 8" from the ground.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
put a splash shield around the filter. I ditched my CAI within 2 weeks because the filter got dirty WAY TO OFTEN!! :guns:

these cars dont exactly have a great spot to put the filter for CAI mode

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
scott0999 said:
put a splash shield around the filter. I ditched my CAI within 2 weeks because the filter got dirty WAY TO OFTEN!! :guns:

these cars dont exactly have a great spot to put the filter for CAI mode
Yes they do... :wink:

but you'd have to run pipe like the Dr.Speed CAI for the 3900 G6

you'd probably have to lose your charcoal canister, and the tube would get heat-soaked really fast w/o header wrap... :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Question while we are on the topic of CAI setups. Isnt the stock Z24 setup as CAI due to the fact it pulls air from outside the hood thru the Hood louvers??

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The stock system is supposed to pull in cooler air in theory. However, the insulation that makes the cowls in the hood doesn't do much, and heat rises, so the hood gets warm and thus the air coming in does too.

Plus the fact that the cowls are tiny (an inch or so) and are more of a restriction that anything else.

I like my WAI with the shield cause the air it pulls in is coming from outside when the car is moving. The shield helps with radiator fan and manifold heat.

·
Registered
931 Posts
It's worth your while to draw cool air. Hot engine bay air absolutely kills performance. And it can cause pinging in hot weather and then timing gets pulled the car is really slow then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.