J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much says it. I have some residue inside my headlights which is coating the inside of the glass lens and the reflector. It's robbing me of light and I'd like to take the things apart and give them a good cleaning. Do these come apart?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Anything can be disassembled. When I did my ex's 03, I put them in the oven to soften the glue and slowly pried it apart...Just take your time. I've never done any older cars but I'm sure the process is the same. Don't heat it too much though or you'll distort everything. Just hot enough to make the glue loosen

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
troublesomez24racing said:
Anything can be disassembled. When I did my ex's 03, I put them in the oven to soften the glue and slowly pried it apart...Just take your time. I've never done any older cars but I'm sure the process is the same. Don't heat it too much though or you'll distort everything. Just hot enough to make the glue loosen
i done it with a set of sunbird headlights and it worked out just fine.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'd use a heat gun IMO, because you can actually work them apart one spot at a time. Also use an X-Acto knife between the lens and the housing. As mentioned before, take your time and don't rush.
If you're going to bake them, make sure you have an egg timer (or something) just in case you forget you're baking your headlamps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.