J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So pissed off. All of a sudden today the electric popper AND/OR the key won't open the trunk anymore. I climbed through the back seat to fiddle with it, but no luck. It almost seems that the cable that goes from the lock cylinder down to the latch mechanism has gotten disconnected/broken, but there is no way in hell to see where the cable actually goes inside the latch. Is there some other way to get the latch to release? I tried in vain to get a screwdriver or anything in close to the latch to get it open, but since the sticker is down in the body, you can't really get anything in there. Help!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
fastest way: Get inside the trunk, and pop the clip off that holds the outer part of the latch to the trunk lid. then you can just push the key part out from the inside, then get out and use a screwdriver to open it. just stick it in and twist and it'll pop open :)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
is your electric popper still "popping" ? because its not connected to the lock cylinder cable, its mounted directly on the latch. if its still working then it leads me to believe your latch needs oiling or something.. have you tried pressing down on the trunk while turning the key? on my firenza you have to do this sometimes to get the key to turn, i believe it just needs oiling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pezed said:
is your electric popper still "popping" ? because its not connected to the lock cylinder cable, its mounted directly on the latch. if its still working then it leads me to believe your latch needs oiling or something.. have you tried pressing down on the trunk while turning the key? on my firenza you have to do this sometimes to get the key to turn, i believe it just needs oiling.
When I press the button, I can hear a very faint click like the solenoid is trying to move, but the latch won't release. Maybe I'll try to spray the crap out of it with some WD-40 and get someone to try the key from the outside.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I tried the suggestions and it looks like the latch itself is broken. I can turn the key, tried the screwdriver trick, and manually moved the part of the latch that is connected to the electric popper solenoid, but the trunk never releases. It looks like I'll have to drill out the rivets for the upper part that the lock mechanism turns and unbolt the latch to get the lid open.

Anyone have a spare latch from a ph1 (or ph2?) coupe with the electric popper? :(

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
they all use the same latch... popper or not. and im pretty sure that the cable can be taken out of the latch without having to remove the rivets.. but im not for certain until i have a closer look at it.

also forgot to add that lumina (probably all other W bodies) also use the same latch... most GM cars of the era probably use the same one.. beretta/grand am etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pezed said:
they all use the same latch... popper or not. and im pretty sure that the cable can be taken out of the latch without having to remove the rivets.. but im not for certain until i have a closer look at it.

also forgot to add that lumina (probably all other W bodies) also use the same latch... most GM cars of the era probably use the same one.. beretta/grand am etc.
I looked in my factory service manual, and it looks like the sedan and wagon had different latches from the coupe, though I bet the N-bodies and L-bodies were the same as the coupe.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
man i just threw away a whole assembly i got from my other trunk lid. i'll see if i have my spare still kicking around though.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Crawl back into the trunk and unbolt the latch. (Make sure you have a good flashlight with you.) The trunk should open and give you extra room to mess around getting the latch off. If your latch has the hole inside the mechanism assembly itself. Try using a 3/16" wide flat screwdriver and turn the keyhole looking thing.
I had to do this to my 92 VL when the screwdriver through the lock cylinder opening didn't work anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, I've got the same issue. Wife twisted the key and lock all to hell and I can't unlock the trunk anymore. The seats don't fold down like my other bird and there is not hatch to climb through. Should I just drill the lock out and replace it, or should I figure out how to remove the seats and climb in that way? Wasn't sure if I'd damage anything else if I drilled her out. It sounds like the release still works, but will not unlock truck. The key slot is sitting in a horizontal postion, but remains locked. Anybody get mixed up in this mess before :lol: Much appreciated.

·
Registered
439 Posts
projectbird said:
Hey guys, I've got the same issue. Wife twisted the key and lock all to hell and I can't unlock the trunk anymore. The seats don't fold down like my other bird and there is not hatch to climb through. Should I just drill the lock out and replace it, or should I figure out how to remove the seats and climb in that way? Wasn't sure if I'd damage anything else if I drilled her out. It sounds like the release still works, but will not unlock truck. The key slot is sitting in a horizontal postion, but remains locked. Anybody get mixed up in this mess before :lol: Much appreciated.
Drilling the lock won't help you, it has a clip on the inside of the trunk holding the lock cylinder in place. Take out your back seats, then drill out the spot welds holding that steel bracing (for the seat backs), remove the bracing, and climb on in and pop the trunk using the various methods listed in this thread.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
midnightmekanik said:
projectbird said:
Drilling the lock won't help you, it has a clip on the inside of the trunk holding the lock cylinder in place. Take out your back seats, then drill out the spot welds holding that steel bracing (for the seat backs), remove the bracing, and climb on in and pop the trunk using the various methods listed in this thread.
there is enough room to crawl through the bracing.. at least i was able to do it to pop my trunk when someone tried to pry my locks out with a screwdriver :-?
if you are above the weight of 200 then have your girlfriend crawl through for you, if shes a porker, give a neighborhood kid $5 to crawl in and do it.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
pezed said:
midnightmekanik said:
projectbird said:
there is enough room to crawl through the bracing.. at least i was able to do it to pop my trunk when someone tried to pry my locks out with a screwdriver :-?
if you are above the weight of 200 then have your girlfriend crawl through for you, if shes a porker, give a neighborhood kid $5 to crawl in and do it.
:lol: :lol:

I am fortunate enough to have a fold down seat, plus auto trunk popper. When i broke the popper, i then broke my key. I hopped in and twisted the opener to pop the trunk :lol: Then fixed everything.

Then once, i locked my keys in my car. i broke the lock to get into the trunk, then kinda massaged the seats out of the way (no popper inside the trunk...) and got in that way... :lol:

·
Registered
439 Posts
pezed said:
Yeah, IF you're less than 200lbs??!! I'm 210lbs and I couldn't get my arm and head through that hole... that sounds bad... :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I managed to figure out what the problem was. I had to drill out the rivets for the cable assembly to get the trunk open and get the latch off, but once I did, it all became clear. It looks as though the electric "popper" solenoid decided to freeze such that it was preventing the latch mechanism from moving enough to open the latch even when using the key. I didn't have a replacement solenoid, so I just bent away the part of the bracket that hooks onto the solenoid so that the latch can move freely now when using the key. I suppose I'll replace the solenoid one day, but at least I can get into my trunk now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.