J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....i am driving my car to work one night and i get from my driveway to the middle of the highway then my car dies....and it won't start again......i hadn't driven it all day only to go to werk...so buy the time i get on the highway my car is a peek driving temperature and it just dies...so luckly a stranger picked me up and drove me to werk the next day i get my buddy to go and towe it for me and out of curiositly i try and start it it starts fine....to just to be safe i get it towed home...oce i got it home i started it to warm it up to seek if it would do it again and sure enought when it got warm enough it just dies and won't start again until it cools down a little....andone have any idea's....i changed the module and coild today and it still does it

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do you know for sure its an igniton problem? Next time it dies hook up a timing light or pull off a plug wire and see if the is spark to the plugs. If there is spark and it wont start then you may have a fuel problem.

Check to see if you have any ECM codes stored.

Otherwise I would guess it could be a crank sensor or loose/dirty connectors.

Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think it is a fuel problem because i can hear the fuel pump everytime i turn the key on....and there is pressure in the lines.......and i don't think it an ignition problem anymore because i changed the coils and the module.....it runs great until it gets hot...i have been looking around here and reading post and the only thing i can think of next is the crank sensor

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
may be as simply as the thermastat! or maybe your intake is getting clogged. you got any extra rags laying around under the hood?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Damn, my Sunbird did the EXACT SAME thing and it ended up being the ECM, not the PROM, just the ECM. Mine pulled up a code 44 all of a sudden and started doing that.

Korey :moon:

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
wally05 said:
Damn, my Sunbird did the EXACT SAME thing and it ended up being the ECM, not the PROM, just the ECM. Mine pulled up a code 44 all of a sudden and started doing that.

Korey :moon:
I had an ECM go bad every once in a while, but it never quit running, just ran rough. I never had a scan tool but looking back on it I bet that the injector voltage would be low if I scanned it while it was happening.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
Possible reasons:

Bad catalytic converter.
low fuel pressure, just because you hear the pump, does not mean that it is pumping full pressure. ;)
Crank position sensor.

I can't think of any other ones right now.

·
Registered
958 Posts
99% sure it is the crank sensor....My car did the exact same thing....die when it was warm and wont start till cold. Changed the module, most of the other sensors...still dodnt work. After a month and a half someone mentioned the crank sensor, and it was covered in only. Spent 20 bucks cnd to get a new one and it ran great every since....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Someone can correct me here if I am wrong, but isn't there a quick & easy way to check to see if it is the CPS? When your car dies and it won't start again, while you are cranking the engine, look at your RPM's. If it isn't registering any rpm's while cranking, then it is your CPS that is the problem. When mine went out, I would crank and crank and the rpm's would stay at zero, but as soon as I saw it more up just a little while still cranking, I knew it was going to fire, and sure enough, it did.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you have money to burn, you could try the Crank Positioning Sensor first ($20ish, cheaper than module), but plan on a backup to work. If that doesnt do it, the Ignition Module is bad (highly heat sensitive part)(Mine was $150ish AC Delco, for my 2.2L, it has 2 coil packs).

General Question:
Will taping on the CPS cause it to die, then NOT start right away?
If so, would it be possible to disconnect the battery so the computer will reset, then start it right away?

My module was bad, even though Murray's tested it, and said it was fine. Heat from the motor will effect (or is it affect, oh well, I'm not an English major) the way the module works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.