J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this problem where when I drive down the road sometimes my car will seem to not get gas or a spark (not sure which ) then all the sudden it will get one in a burst then stop again this usually happens till I come to a stop then the car dies. Any ideas what this might be? I tried cleaning the tb out real good I change the esc...
I was thinking it could be my coils or maybe the fuel pump but I want another opinion maybe of someone who has seen this before the mechanic has no idea what it is....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i used to have a similar problem. whenever i had driven the car hard or had driven like 75 for a long period of time, like on the expressway, and i came to a stop, the RPM gauge would start bobbing from 1000 to 2000 and then the car would stall. even if i shifted into nuetral. then if you put it in nuetral and started it back up, the RPM's would still be dancing all around and she'd stall agian (but not always. sometimes it took a little more driving then it would stall). If you put it in park and shut the car completely off and then fired her up again the problem was gone. I had it tuned up, relearned the idle, had vacuum seals checked everything and nothing ever fixed it. It just disappeared one day. how's that for wierd

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is while I am in motion not at any light... it likes it's not getting fuel or not sparking or something... I can hear the engine turning.. but it's like there is nothing happening.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and if I shifted into neutral it just dies more cause then the transmission does not turn the motor (which seemed to give it a bit more time) it's almost like the car stalls while I am driving at say 70kph

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you feel it's not firing correctly, I'd check your fuel injectors, they simply may need cleaning. It's late, that's all I can think of right now.

Hey! This is my 100th post to the board! Yay!

[ This Message was edited by: antipode on 2001-08-18 00:31 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Has your fuel filter ever been replaced? This could be getting clogged, shorting the engine of fuel at high speeds. What about plugs and wires? I would check these simple things first

·
Registered
221 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, check the fuel injectors. And just for grins, dump a bottle of injector cleaner in your tank, it's not always visible.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the same problem... check the fuel pressure if it squirts up and hits your hood u know u got fuel pressure (the fuel pressure release is at the top of the engine with the cap on it it should be silver in colour) another thing that it could be is your computer.. i tapped on mine and it would work, tapped it again.. wouldnt work.. another thing like moon said it could be the fuel filter.. there cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Your chip is mounted in the dashboard behind your glove compartment. Your steering wheel comes off with a special puller that AutoZone will let you use for free.

·
Registered
129 Posts
its pretty easy (yeah right i still havent got mine off)
1) pull the power to your horn (it gets very annoying when you continue to honk your horn)

2) pry off the front (where you honk the horn) and there should be a wire connected to it. disconnect it.

3)use the puller put big bolt in middle and set it so its just touching. the steering wheel has 2 holes that are threaded. use the assortment of bolts to get the right size and screw in tightly.

4)then slowly but surely tighten the middle bolt and POP the steering wheel comes off. then replace the steering wheel with the other one.

and the computer is that silver thing on the top part of your glove box.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had the same problem. Would die when I let off the gas,i.e. braking. You can put it in N while you slow, but also keep at least 1200 rpm. The problem is your fuel pump relay switch. True, your pump shouldn't work with a bad relay. But the oil pressure switch also runs the fuel pump. Therefore when you slow down, oil pressure drops and the signal to the pump is stopped.
Trust me. I replaced the fuel pump, TPS, IAC Valve, and almost the FPReg!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts