J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - seems like when I get a problem fixed, some new symptom keeps coming back. First here's my orginal post to the problem.

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/viewtopic.php?t=31904

Ok now I'm driving down the highway doin about 70 mph. I let go of the gas going down a steep hill because my exit ramp is just ahead. All of a sudden my rpm's started goin crazy. It was bouncing from 500 to 3000 extremely fast - up and down, up and down. The check engine light is flashing on and off, when the rpms would bottom out at 500 the light would come on and when it surged back up the light would go off. I put it in neutral to let it coast down the hill and it stopped doing it. When I got down the hill I put it back in drive, it started doing it again. But I was on flat road now and the friggen thing was surging so bad it was sinking me back in my seat. I get it home check for codes - nothing. I leave it for awhile and then try to start it - nothing. Just rolls and rolls. Then 20 minutes later, I start it no problem, it drives like there is nothing wrong. I'm at the point where I don't trust me car anymore, I don't even drive it to work because I'm afraid it will break down on the highway. Does anyone know what the hell would cause the surging on the highway?? Thank.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
so when the tach is bouncing around, does the engine do that same?? or is it just the tach itself??

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I had that same problem, i just had a fuel injector going bad on mine it was sending too much juice back to the computer and it was trying to shut my car off i really likeed to do it at about 40 mph i had just had my computer replaced too but i got the injector fixed and now my car runs great hope this helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I replaced all the coil packs & ignition module and it still misses and stalls. I'd place a damn for sale sign in the window except that it is a canadian car and I'm in the states and they won't let me sell it down here without jumping through a bunch of hoops. So far I've changed the spark plugs, wires, coil packs, ignition module & crank sensor. Only thing left that I can think of is the ECM. I gotta test that wire from the CPS to the ICM yet though cuz its got some oil on it (its all over the bare wire inside the wrapping), but I don't see how that would give me a misfire on 3 cylinders, although it maybe causing my stalling...ahhh what the hell...I'm so pissed off at this thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, not at all. In fact, I haven't seen the surging in a while, but that doesn't mean it won't come back. Just the stalling and misfiring.

Edit: The wierd thing about it is when I stall out and try to restart, the RPM's will not move off of 0 and it will not even catch, then after a while I'll see it jump up a little while cranking it and sure as shit, it'll start. I thought the crank sensor read RPM's but I replaced that already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.