J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the cat converter filters out pollutants and such, i know it's the law that you need one, at least in my state. And i know it queits the exuast. How much does it queit it by? and would there be any flow difference in the exaust if it was removed? would it be better to get a high flow converter then removing the old one completly? I have an appointment to get exaust done a week from thanksgiving, (getting glassbacks) and i was just wondering how i should go on the converter, i like noise!

peace

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's illegal to replace a functional catalytic converter, so I recommend you beat the everliving hell out of the insides with a crowbar or tire iron, knock all the honeycomb loose. I'll run it over with the El Camino if you really want. Mmm... I can't wait 'till I get this thing roadworthy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you say illegal? or illegiable?
hmmm... something to ponder

[ This Message was edited by: 2gamericanz on 2001-11-18 01:46 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
$50,000 fine (in Iowa, at least) for even just replacing a Cat that is not bad. So any exhaust shop won't even put on a high-flow unit for you, unless the existing one is bad. Hense why you may need to beat it with a crowbar...

Not sure what the fine for not having one at all is.
I did notice a slight increase in sound when I got the high flow cat installed and still had the stock exhaust the day before I got the Magnaflow put on. After the magnaflow, it sounds awesome

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't have a cat on my car, and I'm not sure why it's illegal not to have one...old restored cars don't have them, so I don't know why I have to. I CAN tell you that without the cat on, my car is really loud. Flowmaster loud though, and that's a good thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.