J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know its is another intake question but i was just looking at the how to's. Well one of the how to's is just putting a 3 inch cone filter on the stock tube with a piece of pvc pipe on the inside of the stock rubber tube to give it body so you can clamp the filter on. Well what i was thinking b/c i am very cheap was what if i put pvc pipe the whole lenght of the stock rubber tube. This way the air wouldnt have all the rips on the inside of the stock tubing. Do you understand what i am talking about??? Do you think this would work?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
PVC works fine... check out my website... http://home.comcast.net/~rcurci2/Thumbnails.htm

Mine is PVC however I sanded it and painted it... Now only if i can get my hands on some 2 gauge wire so i can relocate my battery and put a new intake on :love:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
you could get an aftermarket civic intake from advance auto or auto zone. im sure they have those in stock. i think thats what hallie has on hers.

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
I'm not gonna go against anybodies ideas...but PVC tends to give off toxic fumes when it gets hot. And last time I checked it gets hot in a engine bay :wink:

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
z24_ss said:
I'm not gonna go against anybodies ideas...but PVC tends to give off toxic fumes when it gets hot. And last time I checked it gets hot in a engine bay :wink:
yeah, damn positive crankcrase valves, vents air out the crankcase, oily toxic fumes... not good to run back through the engine, not good to release into the enviroment... there just isn't an easy answer

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
eirik said:
z24_ss said:
yeah, damn positive crankcrase valves, vents air out the crankcase, oily toxic fumes... not good to run back through the engine, not good to release into the enviroment... there just isn't an easy answer
you're joking right?

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
hornersz24 said:
yeah like z24_ss said it also can melt I went to the exhaust shop and had a 3" piece of pipe bent the same as my stock and all I did was cut it down to fit. It cost 20 cdn and it wont melt. :wink:
what if you get too big a hit of nawwwwwssss. It'll blow the welds.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have extensive experience with the PVC it's what I'm using now. The problem is that extended periods of heat from the engine causes it to warp some what. As for literally melting, only if you are dumb enough to strap it onto a piece of the exhaust manifold, you have to be sure to route it away from the exhaust manifold as you do with EVERYTHING you put under your hood unless it can withstand well over 400 degrees F, not too many materials can do that. Also be sure to route it away from the coolant lines as they get hot and will make it warp faster and with an imprint of a coolant line. Because it will warp you have to keep checking it which is a pain in the ass as if the piping warps enough the tube can droop, and droop right onto the exhaust manifold. In fact that's exactly what happened to my first pipe, for this reason I have a chunk of rubber (Cut from the stock intake hose) in between the PVC tube and the coolant lines & Exhaust manifold.

It does make for a better shield against heat for the air on the inside of the tube however, and it also makes for a good smooth direct flow from your source of air to the TB, even more so as it warps it will warp towards the shape of the TB. There are HIGH HEAT PVC manufacturers but I have a feeling getting them to make our custom tube would be VERY expensive and possibly not worth the while expecially if contemplating a completely new kind of intake supercharger or turbocharger.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I don't know what kind of PVC I picked up however mine never warped, hasn't melted, looks like an uncircumsized...... and yet I definately passed emissions with flying colors, so emitting those "fumes" into the atmosphere can't be worse than the emissions a car puts out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
91berettagt said:
PVC works fine... check out my website... http://home.comcast.net/~rcurci2/Thumbnails.htm

Mine is PVC however I sanded it and painted it... Now only if i can get my hands on some 2 gauge wire so i can relocate my battery and put a new intake on :love:
just go to walmart to the car audio section and buy the wiring kit for a 1000 watt amp. its like $25 and has a distribution box to split up the positive line to it's respected destinations

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
dailydriverz said:
eirik said:
z24_ss said:
you're joking right?
Me or him? :-?

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
Yeah I noticed that too after I posted, I thought you were sayin it to me for the toxic fume remark :p lol Toooooooooooo early...to much beer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.