J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have the DXZ855MP Clarion HU. I've lost the literature that came with it. On clarions website they have the owners manual in PDF but not the install manual. I've been looking at the DXZ955MP Install guide. (figure they have to be close) But I'm still having an issue.

On the back of this HU I have I think 4 pre-amp outputs. I think my problem lies somewhere in selecting the correct RCA jacks but... I have everything connected and thanks to SiX with some wiring issues I was having it's pounding good. But only in Radio mode. If I send my ipod through the radio it's fine but as soon as I put a CD in or connect the Ipod directly it quits sending the signal to the amp and shuts the amp off. They play just fine just no amp or subs. So it's like listening to just the stock speakers.

Anyone have a clue on what I missed here? Would love to play CD's or at least hook the ipod directly here.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind... Apparently in these lovely higher end HU you have way to many options. Including multiple remote leads. I picked the wrong remote lead.. Just changed it up and all works well.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
jakerooni said:
Nevermind... Apparently in these lovely higher end HU you have way to many options. Including multiple remote leads. I picked the wrong remote lead.. Just changed it up and all works well.
I was going to say that sounded like your problem, also good to hear that my suggestion helped. ;)

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And now on to the next problem....

After messing with it some more and getting the amp and stuff going good I've developed a new problem. Seems the speakers only want to work whenever they feel like (still haven't found what is causing the issue) Radio powers up just fine. When I turn the subs on they work perfect. I just have no other speakers working. (Just replaced my stock ones yesterday with some MB Quartz 3.5's) Every now and again I'll turn the key just right or jar something good and voila the speakers will all come on for good listening enjoyment.

So I took everything out figured maybe a bad radio ground... Or loose wire or something. So I took the radio off the stock ground and redid the ground so that works just fine. Double and triple checked all connections to no avail. Found nothing suspect.

Since it's sending signal to the amp and such I'm guessing something in the stock wireing... Any clues?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
maybe it has something to do with the stock wires. my rear speakers did the same thing. and it ended up being the wiring because i ran them straight and they never done it again, maybe something to try

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1fastcavi said:
maybe it has something to do with the stock wires. my rear speakers did the same thing. and it ended up being the wiring because i ran them straight and they never done it again, maybe something to try
Yea I'm thinking so to. Didn't really want to get this involved just yet. Have other things to tend to first on this car and if I have to run all new wires anyways I might as well set it up for the final install.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
I could be that the deck is seeing that there is a short to ground on one of the outputs.
This could be caused by a few things:
- Chaffed wire touching ground, if it's only a small chafe, it can be an intermittent problem like you describe, due to the wire/chassis moving around.
- Speaker could be shorting between the VC and the basket, and with the speaker screwed to metal this would also cause a short, also possibly intermittant, and usually only at higher output levels, unless teh short is an almost direct (low Z) short.
- When the speaker is installed, the terminal may come in contact with something that is grounded to the chassis.
- A speaker could be shorting it self, either damaged (low Z), or pressure on the speaker causing the two terminals to short, again, something that is in contact with the speaker when it is installed.

The speakers turning off is the HU protecting its self.

The newer Clarion HUs also have a feature called "Amp cancel" that turns the internal amplifier on and off, but this has to be manualy changed.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Chris give me some things to look out for. The only thing I haven't touched on this yet are the back speakers (Still 6X9's I beleive but in the tower behind the front seats instead of the rear deck obviously) Not sure how to get to them yet. Been told they are a PITA to access. But my luck this is where my problem lies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.