J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
There are tons of stuff on the market for our vert tops. I've tried tons of stuff but the newest stuff I'm trying at the moment is Blue Magic Convertible top cleaner. Alot of people will tell you to use anything (car wash detergeant) but they don't make convertible cleaner for a reason. I mean I have washed mine in the past with original stuff but I have just replaced my top about a year now and I don't want it to fade. I picked up the Blue Magic stuff at Advance AutoParts. It was around $10.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tried that and it seemed to streak really bad. Of course, its Floida, it may have been too hot, or I didn't do it right... let me know how you like it.

If you have a plastic back window, they also make a plexis glass and plastic scratch remover, supposed to be for motorcycle windshields and things. It works wonders on that back window, too. Should be in a auto part store also.

·
Registered
185 Posts
<COLOR color="darkred"> If you have a white top, like mine, I use Westley's Blech-White same as you use on whitewalls and white letter tires. If you have a black top, or another very dark color you can use laundry detergent solution. Light brown tan tops you can try either, just be careful with the Blech-White if it streaks. It shouldn't but try a small area first.

I have a white top and white letter tires on the Cavvy, and the Eldorado has a white vinyl top and 1" white wall tires so I go through this stuff like I do gasoline.

As for conditioner, since vinyl/canvas is a man made product there is no real requirement for dressing. Leather interiors in cars need to breathe because they are natural hides and will shrink and crack if they dry out. Vinyls and canvases do not shrink and dry out because they are not 'wet' in the first place. However they do degrade over time due to UV rays and heat making them brittle. Keeping the top washed and the car out of the sun does more to keep the top up than any chemical.

However for 'looks' and I thought convertibles always looked good with the top DOWN... You can use a non-silicone based dressing. Silicone based dressings can burn in the sun causing damage to the top.

SHADE SHADE SHADE! I know that is easier said than done for those that don't have garages but verts need that kind of attention. You ever notice people that spend too much time in the sun and look overcooked? Same principle - some sun is good alot of sun is bad. GOOD LUCK!
</COLOR>

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Well it depends on what kind of convertiable top you have (vinyl or cloth) but alot of decent companies out there make products specifically for vert tops. Marine grade cleaners tend to have the best results. Meguirs and Mothers makes products that I've personally had great results with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.