J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some guy said that if you replace your factory speakers(with nice ones) but leave in the head unit it will "clip" the head unit. Basically he said that after time the amp gets worn out and you have to turn up the volume more and more to hear music at a normal level. I would assume that if you did it long enough you'd have to turn up your stereo up all the way just to get a respectable volume out of the car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ok... ummm.. hmmm well ive never heard of it that way... and hes wrong about the amplifer and turning the volume up with it being damaged.. if ur good to ur speakers theres no reason why u would need to crank it louder.. unless u damage the speakers with the raised volume level.

my advise to u is when u change the speakers you should change the head unit because the original head unit was made for the "stock" speakers and the wattage on them is usually quite low.. that blows speakers if u crank it and it doesnt have enough wattage to produce the sound.

or instead of buying a new head unit get small amplifiers.. i use a 100watt amp to drive my front speakers and my new 220watt for my rears.
ill see about getting new pics of all this cause my friend with the camera has been a dink lately... so i gotta find someone with a digi cam

hope this helps

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yea, dawg I'd say the guy was def. wanting some more buisiness. As far as amps, yea, you can do it with relatively small amps for the smaller speakers in a car. I personally just have one amp for dash and rear speakers.... yea, I can't fade it with only a 2 channel amp, but who needs to anyways?? And it still sounds great.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
sandmaster said:
some guy said that if you replace your factory speakers(with nice ones) but leave in the head unit it will "clip" the head unit. Basically he said that after time the amp gets worn out and you have to turn up the volume more and more to hear music at a normal level. I would assume that if you did it long enough you'd have to turn up your stereo up all the way just to get a respectable volume out of the car.
Salesman? You bought some new speakers and he wants to sell you a new deck that will never 'clip' and only costs $800.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts