J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 cav, and I just recently started hearing a clunking noise coming from the engine. I talked to some people and they said it may be the valve lifters and suggested the valve cleaner. Well that didn't work... Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
129 Posts
that is not a good sound.. last time my car did that i took to a mechanic and he said over $700 to repair (which was more then what the car is worth so i bought another car) but it could be many things give us an accurate discription on where the sound is coming from.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
How loud is this clunking, and when does it occur? All the time, only when moving, at idle, under load? Is it like a dull thud, or high pitched, or more like a ticking sound? How many miles are on the engine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clunking seems to be coming from the passenger side of the car. It happens all the time, when idling or in gear. It doesnt happen when the engine is cold, at night. Im assuming becasue the oil is thicker. The engine has 137000km on it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
It is hard to diagnose problems without actually hearing the noise. You didnt answer whether it is more of a dull thud, or a ticking sound. Or a slapping sound? Is it buring an excessive amount of oil? Does the sound increase in speed with rpm's?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts