J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have and good ideas/instructions on making Moon's custom intake into a good cold air intake.

I am thinking along the lines of a large diameter tube (material to be determined) coming up from somewhere below (under bumper cover) and resting below the filter. Maybe enclose the filter and leave it open only where the cool air is coming in, or will this be restrictive.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Enclose it like, shield it from the engine's heat?
I was thinking the same thing. I was also wondering if a couple smaller ones would work as well. That is, if one large one couldn't fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, block the hot engine air although I don't think it has to be completely sealed up.

I think a couple of smaller ones would work fine, as long as the air coming in was cooler than the surrounding engine air(which it will be) and as long as the air doesn't have a hard time getting into the tubes and up to the filter.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I have some tubing to do this, but havnt gotten around to it. It will be added to the how-to when I get around to it...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but i think it's made of aluminum?, not sure where you could buy one, but you can definatly make one if your good at working with metal.. Be careful don't cut yourself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What's more important, looks or performance? That was a quick job, but effective nonetheless. Yes, there's a filter inside the enclosure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ok i am probably goin to do this mod sometime next week and i asked my dad about it. He said that having the scoops near the ground would allow water to be sucked up if it were raining. Has anyone thought about this or does no one else drive thier car in the rain? I dont know if it actually could be sucked all the way up the tube but if it was i think it would be a problem. Let me know about solutions or if this will even be a relevent problem. thanks all

·
Registered
278 Posts
If water is to be sucked up the intake it will make it all the way into the engine, and eventually it will crack the block. That is why not alot of people of the cold air intakes, there are a few systems out there that will filter the water out but none have been made for our car yet. So my advice is to just do the mod that moon has written down, it is cheap, affective and won't blow your engine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
First let me say Hi i'm the new guy to this site. I've owned my 93 Cav for 6 years.
As for your intake Question I cut out my hood right above my Custom intake and added a Eclipse Scoop to force the air into the intake, it works really well. Rain gets in but i've never had any trouble with it.I've only noticed my filter a little damp sometimes. Also relocate your air Sensor to the front of the car where air can directly hit it. you will trick the computer into increasing the gas flow which increases power because the air has increased but this will hurt gas milage.to see pics of my car go to J-body.org
2001 j-bash, saturday, car is blue and yellow 1/2 way down the 1st page

isaacs93cavi

[ This Message was edited by: isaacs93cavi on 2001-09-27 22:03 ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey thats a pretty hot car you got there. Did you take that cowl off of another car or buy it or build it yourself? I actually cant do this because of the cowls on my hood i might mess them up some how. But does the K&N filter not let ANY water through b/c i know the stock will. Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: whiteboygotbling on 2001-09-27 22:14 ]

·
Registered
599 Posts
I bought the Cowl from Summit,they were designed for trucks but I modified it for the car. I totally removed the stock air Box and hoses and installed a 3" intake. it runs directly under the scoop.the Cone gets damp but i've never had any trouble.I live in Ohio Rain.

isaacs93cavi

[ This Message was edited by: isaacs93cavi on 2001-09-29 00:50 ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.