J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rihgt now i have a digital egr on the car. My car has the 2.8 v6 with digital egr, 93 z24 tranny, 3.1 computer and wiring harness. And i cant get my egr to work properly. Right now i have 2 egrs in the car. one is bolted to the plenum like it should and the other is hanging on the fire wall with the sensor plugged in. I have tried dofferant computers and multiple egrs thinking that was the probelm. When i plug in the egr like it is supposed to be it opens all the way at idle causing the car to run like shit and eventually choke it till it stalls. I was curious if any of you would know what was causing this or if it would be in my best interest to conver to a vaccuum egr.

If i decide to convert it othe than the egr, wiring to the sensor and vaccuum lines what else would i need to change, i would also need to replace the compuer also correct? and if thats the case would it work with the 93 3spd tranny? I have a computer from a 87 2.8 auto v6 but i think it may have had a 4 spd tranny. am i correct?

any info would be great

thanks
Tj

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the egr that matches the 3.1 computer. i have tried 3 of them all with the same result. thatswhy i want to convert to vaccuum. Or if there is a way to fix my probelm!

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they guy whos gonna inspect my car for emmisions testing!!!

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
to convert to vacuum egr, you need the vacuum egr, and the computer from a 1990 z24.. (in 1990, they were the 3.1's but still the vacuum egr.. :D

then just hook up the same vacuum line to the egr, and your set..

there's no wires to hook up, so no worries :D

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
your sure about that quanny? i thought the 90 had a digital egr

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quanny, My 89 Z24 2.8L has the vacuum EGR but mine also has a wired connector to it in a different shape as the digital one.

So, he'd have to change the harness as well... Also, an older harness wont work on his car because the connector pins on for the TCC are different ... :-? I think there is some kind of vacuum prob with TJ's car that we need to sort out before going either of those routes.

-Al.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
quantum said:
to convert to vacuum egr, you need the vacuum egr, and the computer from a 1990 z24.. (in 1990, they were the 3.1's but still the vacuum egr.. :D

then just hook up the same vacuum line to the egr, and your set..

there's no wires to hook up, so no worries :D
im pretty sure mine has wires going to it

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
okay, my bad then, i was going by my old 4 cyl that had a vacuum egr, it only had one thing going to it, which was a vacuum line, no electrical things at all.. sorry

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well my plans of a beater have been slightly delayed so i guess ill have to hold off on the coversion for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.