J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the mod for this today but it doesn't work. i turn the car on and hit the switch but nothing happens. i have an 89' Z. Is the wire the same color?(There is a green one with a white stripe, that's the one i used.) i'm using a lighted rocker swirtch with ground, ACC and power plugs. i have the splice running from the green wire to the power and the ground to my body. should there be something attached to the ACC plug? i looked at the fan and it looks like a black wire with the red stripe is running into it. i don't know
at least the switch lights up. help!!

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yeah, its the same wire. Try connecting the ground wire to the other terminal on the switch, instead of the one that is meant to ground the switch. I beleive that the ground terminal on your switch is just to ground the switch, so it lights up, but it won't ground the cooling fan unless you hook another ground wire up the the 3rd terminal (the one labeled ACC) on the switch.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ok, on the switch, you have three connections. On two of these, they are spaced equally and there is a third connection that is further away from the two that are close together.
This connection that is farther away is the ground connection. This is where you connect ground.
Your hot wire which is a constant 12 volts will enter the opposite connection next to the middle switch. The middle connection will turn on the device. Got it?? Connection farthest away from the other two is ground and the one in the middle is the wire going to the fan. The other one on the end next to the close middle is the 12 constant. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd take pictures to narrate, but it's dark out right now. Strip and solder the green/white wire and run the newly atttached wire through the firewall and into the hot part of the switch, which is usually labelled. Run a second wire from the switch to the good ground under the dash where you most likely have several other grounds - they all have crimped O-tips and are screwed into a support brace. If it doesn't work, switch the connections.

Remember, this won't work unless the ignition is on. The motor doesn't have to be running, but it has to be turned foreward - same case as the power windows.

Cover the newly soldered area with electrical tape so the wire won't accidentally twist the solder loose and cause a bad connection, this happened to me, but I just had to re-heat it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got it working. i had to take the spliced rely wire and attach it to the power plug and ground the ACC and the ground plugs just like Moon said. too bad the light won't come on the switch now. i even tried to use the fan wire in the ACC plug, a 12V on the power and ground the ground. The light came on but the fan didn't. oh well i just wanted the switch to work and it does. thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.