J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, me being the accident prone person I am, I need to know *exactly* how to wire in a switch for the cooling fan so I can choose when to run it. What gauge wire, where to put it, how not to electrocute myself and get launched across my yard, etc.
I write this with a nose full of my door, as I've been sanding away some rust all day. If you don't have rust peeking out from under your skirts yet, consider sealing them tighter along the top edge before you end up like me.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Clipped to the drivers side fender, right near the battery, you will find a relay with 4 or 5 wires going to it. Peal back the wire loom a bit and to expose the wires. Look for a green wire with a white stripe on it. I believe that is the one you need. Just splice into it with another wire of similar gauge (18?). Run this wire through the firewall to a switch you will need to mount somewhere inside. Now take another wire of the same gauge, hook it up to the other terminal on the switch, and ground it. That is, find a good spot of bare metal behind the dash, drill a hole (or find an existing hole) and screw the end of the wire there. Now the fan should operate like normal when the switch is off, but when its on, it will ground the circuit, and the fan will come on. I haven't done this mod yet, but it is on my list of things to do, probably this coming week, so if you want to wait a week or so, I will write up a full how-to on the procedure with pics and better instructions

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, when you say it, it sounds a whole lot easier. I think I can put it off for a week if you're going to make a how-to, though. The pictures reassure me that I'm not going to kill myself in the process, plus it gives me time to check wire gauges and finish my rust sanding. At the rate I'm moving with the car lately, I think I'll be attending the 2002 J-Body Bash.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
LOL! I love the sig.
I have vinyl on my passenger side mirror covering up the part that says "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear". It now reads, "Objects in mirror are losing"
Need to scan a pic of it...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You did. I'm sure there's been better quality, but that doesn't change the fact that it's under the 2000 J-Body bash pics.
http://www.v6z24.com/pictures/shows/bash2000/05.jpg</URL>>
Sorry for internal linking, but I doubt it'll hurt bandwidth.
By the way, nice reply timing, heh. I was about to call it a night and I saw that once again, you were the last post on this board. =P

Okay, editing... I now notice this isn't yours, since it's white trim and yours has black. Oops. Still, same idea.

[ This Message was edited by: antipode on 2001-07-27 03:51 ]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got all the necessary items to wire up the switch, but since I'm preoccupied with my door rust, I'll be waiting to do that. The door's looking good so far, though I'd prefer not to have to do this to begin with. I'll be finishing up the primering tomorrow afternoon, if I have time - I'm helping my brother toss brakes in his Corvair. Now that's gonna be a fun car when it's done!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoo, done and done! I even gutted the alarm system from the previous owner while I was under there... I've never seen so much electrical tape in my life. That got rid of my mystery switch and the light in my steering column casing. Since there's a hole there now, I think I'll wire up the light to work with my driving lights when I put those in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.