J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....

So, I was driving down the road and my rear speakers started to making a crackling sound... I dont think theyre blown, cause it didnt sound like the time i blew the factory ones. But, the sound is horrible. I can have all bass and treble up and volume not too loud and it sounds distorted. I want to have as much bass using my 6x9's because my subs arent hooked up yet. Whats the problem.

WHen im sittin in my car with engine off, and stereo is on, it sounds awsome. it beats good and doesnt distort. But when i turn the car on, then it gets distorted.

One thing else i want to ask is that my 6x9s are held in with the factory clip/hanger/bracket thingys. and when the music is on, it rattles. Does anyone know how to fix.

·
Registered
769 Posts
For starters cheack all your wiring, make sure nothing is loose for some reason. Does this distortion fluctuate with engine RPM's or is it constant no matter what? Aftermarket headunit? If so check all wiring to the headunit.

I mounted my 6x9's with 1/2" self tapping screws. This eliminates the factory brackets and makes for a very solid and rattle free install. Just get the right size screws so they are not so long that they go through the rear deck cover.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO... the distortion is constant all the time. I no its not the stereo wiring, cause i paid 400 bucks for it and to have it installed. Do you think that the speakers are under powered or over powered.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I wouldn't think that should be the case. The power output of a headunit isn't going to vary that much with the ignition on or off. The main thing that points to some sort of interference is the fact you said it sounds fine when the engine is off.

I'm sure the audio guru's will be by shortly to answer your questions.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
dougall said:
NO... the distortion is constant all the time. I no its not the stereo wiring, cause i paid 400 bucks for it and to have it installed. Do you think that the speakers are under powered or over powered.
You could give a Joe Schmoe installer that $400 to install it, that doesn't mean it'll be done right. Recheck the wiring, if for anything just to rule it out. If you have the bass all the way up AND the LOUD feature turned on that will cause it to distort badly even at low volumes. Get you subs installed and kill the bass level.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
i dunno, my dad's friend that knows more about stereo's than probly anyone on this site said that could be the problem
And here is the problem. Stop saying "My dad's friend" If YOU don't personally know then PLEASE stop posting. And what you said about him knowing more than anyone on this site was by far the most arrogant thing I've ever readon here.

Congrats on that, you've taken the ignorance standard to a whole new level. READ THE GUIDELINES!

·
Registered
274 Posts
my friend has the same problem when the car is off but the stereo on it sounds great, checked the ground everything fine, fir up the car and it turns HELLA distorted not even a lil good sound. So i am gonna wait for jake to come on and school us all on the subject.
and when did this forum turn into video and security too just noticed...cool

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
umm this is interesting..... So car off the sound is clear and fine But car on the sound is all distorted But the pitch of the distortion dosen't change with the engine rpm's??? Which tells me your probably not getting a ground loop But rather a wire is touching something it shouldn't be, Have your installer double check. My best guess off the top of my head is look into your accesory wire and see if there's some sort of issue there.

Also are these speakers powered by and amp?? or just off the deck.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
the deck could also be fried, my one friends deck did the same thing and i'm pretty sure the deck is fried.. not too sure really
Are you asking or telling???? I see one of the mods has already been on you for posting missinformation. Please be very careful how you word things in this section. It may just be guesswork to you But if someone sees your post and takes it to heart and trys it and it fries his equipment you gonna have alot of very pissed off people. Unless your 100% positive on the info you post please phrase it as an opinion or a question.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
i dunno, my dad's friend that knows more about stereo's than probly anyone on this site said that could be the problem
I'm sorry 94, but I'll have to take a warning for this one.....From the bullshit that you have posted on this site which was advice given from your dad's friend let's me know that neither one of you have any idea of what you're talking about! And to say that he knows more about car audio than us!? Between about 4 of us that I can think of right off hand, there is not a question that cannot be answered on this board or any other board. We have had guys that supposedly are major competitors come here and try and post information that was corrected immediately. So is your friends dad a major competitor or is he a bum that sits on the couch all day giving misinformation to lame minded, simple thinking punks like you that believe anything he says because he hooked a factory radio harness into a factory radio! :roll: You are an idiot and I am tired of keeping my peace with you. Stop riding your friends dad's dick and get some knowledge from the ones that actually do this for a living, or just simply do something for a living besides being a complete idiot letting someones dad grind fuck them!

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
it sounds like there is interference on the Ignition power wire, i am by no means an expert but that is my oppinion, somthing similar happened to my friends deck, we just pulled it out and checked all the stereo wires and the wiring harness and it seems to work just fine, id just pull out the deck and double check all the wiring

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
some people take things too seriously.. when people take things on the internet too seriously it makes me think one thing, get a life, it's just the internet, but anyway, my dad's friend has had many car stereos, and has tried many different speakers and all sorts of stuff so he does know plenty of stuff about stereo's and he has had a few decks do this to him. also my one friend's deck did this to him, and here his deck was fried. and sorry for being arrorgent

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
some people take things too seriously.. when people take things on the internet too seriously it makes me think one thing, get a life, it's just the internet, but anyway, my dad's friend has had many car stereos, and has tried many different speakers and all sorts of stuff so he does know plenty of stuff about stereo's and he has had a few decks do this to him. also my one friend's deck did this to him, and here his deck was fried. and sorry for being arrorgent
That's the problem here. YOU didn't take this seriously. Just like 4uhataz and Dave said, posting misinformation in this forum can be costly if someone tries something you suggested and fries their equipment. I, for one, know I would be on my way to the courthouse to file suit against you for replacement costs. And I'm not the sue-happy type, either. So until you have at least SOME knowledge of your OWN, don't post anything in here. There's enough intelligent people on this board that KNOW about car audio to help everyone, and you don't happen to be one of them. Get over it and move on. Go post in non-automotive or something. :moon: :guns:

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Before i go taking my deck out, what am i supposed to look for. Are you guys absoutley sure that its the deck. Im starting to think that it might be the speaker power. The speakers are 120 Watts, and the deck is a 45x4 watt output. I dont have a amp or anything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.