J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently painted parts of my dash. I followed the how-to from this page, i used primer, than the engine paint, then a clear coat. It looks tight as hell, but is it just me or does the paint seem to chip really easy? did I do something wrong? All the parts sat for about a week after i painted them before i put them back in my car b/c i was at school that week. so its not like it put them back on too soon. any help to make these things more durable would be apreciated

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I know what you mean. I painted mine and have a couple chips. I bought GM colour match paint that says you don't need clear coat, so I never used it. but it chipped on me, The place I work make GM plastic parts, and we heat our parts to 120 degrees Celsius then paint them, I'm going to try that and see what happens.

Oh wait a minute.... the dash parts are ABS plastic and we cannot heat ABS at work it melts.

DO NOT HEAT YOUR PARTS ANYONE

maybe I'll test it out on a scrapper part and see if it works, I'll get back and see how durable it is.

anyway I bring it up because I heated my intake after painting it and the paint sticks very well, the first time it chipped, but after I heated it (with a blow torch) it stuck excellent

look I can ramble on for this long and probably confuse everyone. Hopefully someone out there understood my in-coherant babling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.