J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change my bulbs in my dash to blue as well as paint the gauge trim. Anyone know how to remove the dash off a 92 Z ??

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
There are 2 torx screws recessed back just above above the steering column trim. These are the only screws holding the cluster in. Once they are out, grab on to the cluster and pull REALLY hard. It will eventually pop out. Don't give up. You may be tempted to, but it will come if you pull hard and long enough There are metal clips that are securing it.

Once you get the clips to release, unplug the wiring from the 2 switches on the sides of the cluster. Thats it for removing the cluster.

The bulbs are easy to remove, as they just twist out of the back. I dunno where to buy replacements though, as they have a funky connector on them. Might have to get them from the dealer, as i didnt see them at the parts store. Actually, i think if you get the bulbs out of a 88-90 cluster, the connectors and the bulbs are seperate, and you can just plug the regular bulbs into the connector, instead of having to get bulbs with the connector attached (which i highly doubt you will be able to find in a color other than white).

To paint the trim, you need to remove all the screws on the back of the cluster to seperate the face from the gauges. Then carefully cut and pry the clear plastic off overing off the trim. It is glued one, so be careful not to break it.

Once it is off, you can easily paint the trim.

Once all painted and dry, you will need to glue the clear plastic cover back on. I just used some elmers.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts