J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am, looking for the easier way to do things. One of my dash bulbs died - one of the two that light up the temperature controls. What bulb size will fit that, and do I have to reach in from behind, or will this be a take-apart-the-dash type thing?

Also, I'll be mounting a fan override switch, and I'm just asking opinions on where the switch should be mounted on the dash. The panel above the fuse box seems nice, but I hate to copy Jason when I have alternatives. On the steering wheel column casing, or on the side by the dimmer knob are two considerations, but I'm not sure on how easy it would be to run a wire into those locations.

[ This Message was edited by: antipode on 2001-07-30 01:38 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Mounting the switch by the dimmer knob would be a major PITA to do. The steering wheel cover should be pretty easy. Easy to get the wires in there, and plenty of room to mount the switch. Only problem I can foresee is that you will need a steering wheel puller, as you must remove the steering wheel to get those covers off, as there are two screws hidden behind the steering wheel that hold the 2 pieces of the cover together. Wheel is real easy to remove as long as you have a puller.
I did the fan override mod yesterday, and I took some pics. I will go get them developed and scanned today (REALLY wish I had a digital cam of my own...) and get the how-to up today or tomorrow

Not sure offhand about the bulbs...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hrm, I don't have a puller, nor am I sure of my mechanic brother having one. I'll just have to get crafty or something.

Also, I noticed a switch under my dash behind my fuse box, which I think was put in by the previous owner. It may be for the alarm that I never got to work, but I'm not sure. I don't like the previous owner's wiring job, and I think I may need some better close-up pictures under the hood by the right tower to be able to sort this out. I'm not even sure what some of this does, and I want it out of there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
autozone can loan you a puller check the parts stores near you they may b able to help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Antipode I recently took off the gauge face on my 93 3.1 v6 z24. It wasn't that hard, I did'nt have to use a steering wheel puller, I unscrewed the steering wheel from the cloumn, un screwed the pastic housing from the column, took off the covering thats right above the gauges. Once I got it all off I removed the plastic covering and found that the gauges actually like plug into the dash and is one piece. I dont remember if there were any openings on the back of it to replace a light bulb or anything.
Hope this atleast helps out on how to take it off
good luck let me know how it goes. Oh another thing do you know if any company makes the glowing gauge faces for the 93 cav z24 3.1v6, just tought I'd ask.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yeah, you don't need to remove the wheel to get the gauges out, but for the trim panels on the steering column he was refering you, you need to.

I don't know of anyone who makes glowing gauges for our car. A while back there was a guy that was selling white faced gauges for the 2nd gens on Ebay, but they weren't the fancy indiglow kind. Not sure if that guy is still selling on ebay or not. I think he had a webpage, but I can't remember it or find it in my links offhand.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ones on E-bay were for 3rd gens, mostly for ones with no tach. I remember looking at those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts