J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,What's up?It's my first on site,and it's awsome.But my two problems are,when i go to turn on my head lights my hole digatal dash goes out.And sometimes when the car is running the idel goes up and down.Any ideas?Thanx ahead!

·
Registered
16 Posts
what do you mean the idle goes down? Does car actaully idle irregularly or does the tachometer just go up and down? About the instrument cluster going out when you turn your lights on, try messing with the dimmer. If your dimmer switch is like all the way dim, when you turn your lights on, your guages will certainly turn off. If for some reason this doens't work, remove the whole intrument cluster which is extremely easy to do (two allen bolts on top, snap the plastic piece under the steering column off, and there are two more bolts on the bottom....the whole thing should just slide through the steering wheel) and clean the contacts with alcohol and a cue tip. Careful though, these are extremely fragile and tear easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On 2001-12-06 01:35, bluemagicavi wrote:
what do you mean the idle goes down? Does car actaully idle irregularly or does the tachometer just go up and down? About the instrument cluster going out when you turn your lights on, try messing with the dimmer. If your dimmer switch is like all the way dim, when you turn your lights on, your guages will certainly turn off. If for some reason this doens't work, remove the whole intrument cluster which is extremely easy to do (two allen bolts on top, snap the plastic piece under the steering column off, and there are two more bolts on the bottom....the whole thing should just slide through the steering wheel) and clean the contacts with alcohol and a cue tip. Careful though, these are extremely fragile and tear easily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the input guys.I'll explain the idel.It surges up and down.It goes high then low.Sometimes. As for the cluster and dimmer switch goes,I've replaced the dimmer switch,so it's not the switch.Have not tried the alchol trick,but some people that i have talked to say that i might have to replace the cluster.What do you guys think? thanx for the help.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
It seems like everyone who has the digital dash in their car has problems with them. So yeah, the cluster probably is bad. With some extra work, you could put an analog cluster in and your problems would be gone forever

As for your RPM's, how much does it go up and down? 500 RMPs? 1000? And you can actually hear the engine reving and stumbling, right? If your lights are on, do they dim and brighten as the speed rises and falls? Or were you saying that when you turn on your lights is only when the RPM's go up and down?

mmason: I have no clue there as to what you were trying to say

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My lights do not dim at all.The RPM'S do go in between 500 and 1000.But when it drops,it drops off far enough to stall but does not.I'll give it some gas a few times and it will stop.It also does it when i'm at a stop light.Sometimes.What do you mean by an analog cluster.Never heard of one Where can I get one and how much?THANX!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
An analog cluster is the old fashioned type with pointers. You can get one out of a junkyard.

The idle problem may be a vacuum leak or idle air control valve or throttle position sensor. Is your Check Engine light coming on?

Need a little more information to analyze further.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have a digital dash, and have no problems at all, the only thing is the oil gage fluxuates, (but i have seen this in the many analog ones i test drove before buying this car.) it's the sending unit, im just too lazy to change it..

back to the subject:
shawnbksstacy : did you try to turn the dimmer switch all the way up? it's the roll wheel on the left side of the steering wheel (below the head light switch) turn it up until the interior lights go on, then turn 1 click down. when the interior lights go off, try switching the lights on again.. does the cluster go dim?

hope this helps, if not check the fuse? maybe it's a circut breaker i don't know.. maybe it gets hot when the lights go on and pop the breaker.

hope one of these tips work for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey slayer,Whatup?Thanks for the tips but have already tried the dimmer and replaced with new.I'm going to have to replace the cluster.Ifound one in junkyard for $35.00.I just have to grt over there and get it.It's out of 1st gen cavy.Same digatal dash.As for the idel Problem i'll try the tips that i got from you guys.Thanx again for the help.I plan on getting a scan jet soon so i can some pitchers on so you guys can see my car okay? Latter!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
did u put a custom radio in ]
and when i turin on my light it goes out my radio cause it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts