J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a rear disk brake kit for a 1990 Z24 does any one know where I could get a kit at ?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
oi... please... search. I know it sounds repeditive, but you really need to do this. There is no mainstream rear disc kit for the 2nd gens... you're looking completely custom. There was a disscussion about this about a month ago.

·
Registered
157 Posts
probly more hassle then its worth i would just upgrade the front with twin piston calipers drilled and slotted rotars yah but do the "search thing"

·
Registered
694 Posts
Bear brakes does make a rear disc conversion for 82-current J-bodies, but it converts to 12" rotors. It's supposed to be used with their 13" or 12" front brake conversion that is only currently made for the 3rd gen J-bodies. But from what I heard, the the only difference between the 2nd gens and the 3rd gens is that the steering knuckle has been placed on the spindle, so if the knuckle is cut off the spindle the kit can supposedly be used on our cars. Check out their website at www.baer.com.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
It's a lot of work I have over $300 CDN into mine so far and still need about $200 to $300 worth of parts to finish it off, I also did most of teh work adapting them, I was hoping to be able to make it into a kit, but unfortunatly the only way to do it is cut and weld a few things, the bolt spacing is to close to overlapping to make it a bolt on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this is a old subject, but I just have to tell you what me and my freinds saw, A white 91-94 Z24 With front and rear disk brakes. It was in Meijers parking lot so I do not know who's it is! But I did leave a note on the window, praying that he/she will call me about the disk brakes.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I was wondering if the Olds Alero's rear disks could be adapted. They have the same style rear end and have the 5x100 mm bolt circle.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
nemesis25 said:
I was wondering if the Olds Alero's rear disks could be adapted. They have the same style rear end and have the 5x100 mm bolt circle.
No they don't.

WHY does everyone seem to think the Alero is 5x100? It's 5 x 115mm. :roll: And they are also independant rear.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
the_raven said:
nemesis25 said:
No they don't.

WHY does everyone seem to think the Alero is 5x100? It's 5 x 115mm. :roll: And they are also independant rear.
Damn, thats to bad. oh well, thanx for the info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was told that I could take a rear axel and Disk brakes off of a 95 Monti Carlo and it will fit up to our 2nd Gen. Z24's I am going to give it a try after lots of resurch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Someone on the .org site was talking about the rear disc brakes from a Neon. I think he never went through with the swap, though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the disk brakes off of a 95 monti Carlo will not work! Next I am looking up To get a rear disk brake's off a 2001-2003 Cavalier I would have independent suspension to. But I would have to take every thing off of the 2001 to put it on mine just have to see if the bolt pattern would work but I do think it will fit. Will keep you updated!

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
What 2001 J-body has rear discs? Umm, none. :roll:

IRS, ummm, no....

·
Registered
183 Posts
willwodd makes hubs rotors and everything to keep the drum style shit all there for parking brake and still have calipers for good stoping power

1 - 20 of 23 Posts