J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since I have a sealed battery box now, I only have 1 positive wire going through it.

before I had the amp positive and main starter wire going to the battery terminal.

I'm thinking about getting a distribtion block and running a larger wire from the battery to it, then attach the amp there.

questions are: are the distribution blocks ok to use for this since the starter draws such high amps?

and is 1/0 gauge the same thing as 1 gauge?

thats all, tia

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rude_ideas said:
Always been my concern with trunk mounting the battery is that cable running all the way through the car. If it finds a way to ground you car is toast. Maybe a high amp circuit breaker?
its really not a big deal. just put some wire loom around it and you have 2 layers of protection. and a grommet where it goes through the firewall

·
Registered
439 Posts
rude_ideas said:
Always been my concern with trunk mounting the battery is that cable running all the way through the car. If it finds a way to ground you car is toast. Maybe a high amp circuit breaker?
No real difference from wiring an amp in the trunk from the battery in the front... :lol:

Anyways, Scott, get 0g wire to the dist block, and run (I'm assuming you already have) 4g to the starter. 4 gauge is plenty for the starter, but if you like 0 gauge works good too. One thing I must stress is that make sure you have a SOLID connection all around the dist block. Any slightly loose connection could start sparking and possibly arcing and then you're in a world of hurt... Another thing you could do is get one of those dist blocks that actually bolt right on the batt terminal, then drill another hole for your stereo wire... Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
scott0999 said:
rude_ideas said:
midnightmekanik said:
No real difference from wiring an amp in the trunk from the battery in the front... :lol:
UH I have a 100 amp circuit breaker for my amps 5 inches from the battery
what kinda amp do you have to need that big of fuse? :eek:
lol 2 fosgate power series. 0 guage wire, 100 amp monster cable circuit breaker, 3 farad rack mount capacitor, all stinger platinum distribution, 2 MTX Black Gold DVC subs, Clarion 6x9's, and Boston acoustics seperates up front. All were run by a Alpine CD deck and 6 disk changer.

I didassemled and sold off most of the system last year. The circuit breaker was from my old days when I would blow a 50 amp fuse when the bass hit hard. I think I was running an a/d/s/ 850mx back in those days with some blue thunder subs.

Also all my other stuff ran off that wire as i have a seperate fuse panel so that nothing is attached to the stock wiring. Kinda a perfectionist when I do some things. I was a stereo junky back in 94 when most kids didnt have systems or were still using house speakers lol.

When the z is done it wont be nearly as big, I will be going to 1 sub and the wire will go down to 4 guage. Prob will get a lower amp circuit breaker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.