J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been idle for the past month---which isn't a good thing cause as a college student I need it, but as a college student I can't afford to get a mechanic to look at it...so this is very important.

Car shut off a while back, on the highway. It starts but then putters off and dies. It starts with a slow kind of cranking noise that picks up real slowly to a ridiculously loud knocking type sound. But as soon as you switch it to another gear (reverse or drive) it just putters off and dies.
I figure it's got something to do with either the throttle or the fire going through the car. So I got new spark plugs and I would've checked the distributor cap for cracks or what not----but it's underneath the engine and my jack is pathetic.

So any suggestions!?! I had a semi-mechanic type person look at it he just generally said I need new engine for $2,800. Holla--I just got the car as a gift and have already fallen in love with J-bods, so I'm not down with getting a new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess that's both a good and bad thing. I was hoping it'd be something as simple as replacing a cap. It was also suggested that I might have a crack or a problem with my vacuum.

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
Is the engine light on?? If it is look in the How to section to see how to get the trouble codes out of the ECU. That may help pinpoint your problem.

Another good buy would be a Haynes or Chilton repair manual. They are full of information!

Brad

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
It also could be something much worse. You said it makes a knocking sound... that could be damaged internals.

I would try looking for the obvious (fuel, spark, etc), and then get more in depth. I fear that you may have more problems than you think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to add that when it first shut down there was a thick black smoke out of the exhaust. I also think it may be the fuel filter, which I've bought but am afriad of switching with out professional help.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
thick black smoke???? replace the o2 sensor and see if that stop the smoke

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
z24_ss said:
A fuel filter isn't gonna cause your car to knock or smoke...
already taken car of ;) talked to him last night on aim and gave him some things to do to get the car back up to speed ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.