J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would i go about doing such a thing to my cav? heh, what type of paint should i use? etc..

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I had to repaint side of my doors because side molding held water there=RUST. If I was you, I would not do the paint yourself if you want it too look good. It took me about 16 hours do to both doors, and I still can see a reflection in the paint, so if you want it to look really good,get it professionaly done. If you wanna repaint your car on your own, you will have to buy a Paintgun, Sander, paint . . . and much more, so its not worth doing on your own

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah doing it yourself without experience will really fuck up your car. I would take it to a body shop, but to make it a lot cheaper, prep it yourself. Sand the car out with a 400 or 600 grit paper, you dont have to take the paint off, just take the luster out of the clear coat...completely.
If you have good paint on the car now, and just want to change the color, that is the best way to go, and you wont need to prime it cuz the paint on the car is the best primer there is. If you have pits or rust then of course, you will need to do some bondo or filler primer work.

And no guys, that isnt another BS idea, I work in a body shop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh another thing if you like the color of your car and dont have any DEEP sratches or flaws you can hit your car with a 800 grit, get a couple coats of clearcoat then hit that really light with a fine sanding pad 800 grit or more and buff with a high speed buffer and buffing compound, thats how you can get factory shine (or better) out of old paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts