J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been posted many times before, but I wanna try to condense all of the answers into one thread :p I have access to all of the parts needed to do the 3100 top end swap on my 3.1, for free...all I would need to pay for is the labor, and I get that at a discounted rate. So my question to all of you gearheads is, how much power is actually gained from this swap? Is it enough to notice a difference or does it only rate on the butt-dyno. Also, how much labor time am I looking at? Because if I can't pay for the labor charges right now I'll just have the nitrous put in and do the top end after the winter. Any input would be great, I'm trying to do as much homework on this particular subject right now as I can. Thanks alot guys!

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay and just so you guys know, I'm not totally ignorant, I did see colin's how-to as a sticky above this post :) But I wanna ask more along the lines of actual hp gains, number-wise, and how many labor-hours are involved (I know there isn't a real way to give an exact number, I'm just talking ballpark workload), stuff along those lines. The odds are I'll be printing out that how-to when I get this work done, but if you guys could answer the above questions, just even vaguely, that'd be great, thanks!

· Registered
2,269 Posts
gain, honestly i dont know..

i'd put it in the ball park figure of 15-20 hp. depending on the engine setup, you might be able to gain even more overall.

as per labour. for a head gasket replacement on a 3100 you'd be looking at in the area of 12-15 hours labour.
dont forget that this also involves the timing chain cover, swap over bits and peices and do new exhaust setup...

you'd probably need to add in another 5hours or so for this. just an estimate for you to figure out what your looking at. depends on who's installing for you and how much they "enjoy" modifying and changing pieces like this. i know lots of guys i work with that would dread and despise this sorta swap. but to me its fun and games.

· Registered
13 Posts
now the horsepower gains u mentioned are from 3.1 over to a 3100 what about 3.1 with 3.4 or 3400 stuff on it would i see any more than that or did i completely miss somthin in those other threads and 3.4 or 3400 stuff on a 3.1 not possible cz i'm looking to build my motor up like crazy this winter and i wanna get every bit of hp i can i'd prefer to keep the 3.1 just cz it's stock in the car but should i look more towards an engine swap instead

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks to everyone for the input, Colin, I was hoping you'd respond to this because from what I hear, you're the guru on the subject. I'm gonna have to talk to my guy about all the work, but as far as the power that you can FEEL goes, for those of you that have done this, is it a noticeable power gain, or would I be better off just saving the money and putting it towards something in the spring? cough*boost*cough :) Thanks guys!

· Registered
1,834 Posts
Remember too that that is for just the top end swap. Any mods after that will be noticed far more than on the stock set up. I think 200+HP in not unrealistic, with the proper mods of course :wink:

· Registered
2,269 Posts
Remember too that that is for just the top end swap. Any mods after that will be noticed far more than on the stock set up. I think 200+HP in not unrealistic, with the proper mods of course
exactly. thats why i posted that you could see gains JUST from the top end swap in the 15-20 HP range.

add a cam, ported pieces, 2.5 exhuast. intake, larger t.b. and your looking at nice 14 second times.

as for a BUTT DYNO feel... hahaa... i just wish i could take you for a ride in my car to feel the gain. its unbelievable. my brother has a BONE STOCK 3.1L 1991 Zed. to drive that and then drive my car... night and day. he's always bugging me to borrow the 'bird. we have plans to fix that in his car though.

· Registered
2,269 Posts
I can vouch for Colin's car as well. It felt more like riding in my W41 than a 60V6. NICE pull from the 3500-4500 RPM range.
werd.

my car it doesnt "pull" or "wake up" till 3500 RPM. and then it PULLS, PULLS, PULLS, till 6200 where i shift. its only a high rev power band how i have that specific engine setup.

breaths like a son of a bitch.

depending on if you use the old smaller ported 3100 or larger sized newer (2000+) 3100 intakes or just the always larger ported sized 3400 intakes. and the size of the cam. the size of the exhaust. you could have an engine that is an excellent high rev engine.
or build one that with a bit less cam, for good low, great mid and upper end power. or you can stay with a smaller cam and have great low end mid range, and still have way better top end power compared to a MPFI setup.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
skeletor said:
v6h.o. said:
as for a BUTT DYNO feel... hahaa... i just wish i could take you for a ride in my car to feel the gain. its unbelievable.
Ya gotta take me for a spin one of these days, Colin. I see your car every day, but I've never been inside it. ;)
Never been inside it eh . .

I got to drive it :p

-John

· Registered
2,269 Posts
Ya gotta take me for a spin one of these days, Colin. I see your car every day, but I've never been inside it.
you can take it for a test drive if you'd like.. anytime, but it'll have to be soon, as its coming off the road by the end of this month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.