J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was raining out today. Well i was playing with my car and i noticed it i just jump on it a little bit it only spins one tire but if i jump on it a little harder it spins both?? I thought that it would spin both if the tires spun?? I dunno if it is dry out it always spins both but if i just give it alittle gas you can feel only one spinning. Does your car do this??

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
there is a reason for this and i cant remeber what it is!!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
jakerooni said:
dailydriverz said:
it's because your car has a "OPEN differential" which allows one wheel to spin independant of the other. this makes turning easier (by allowing the outside wheel to turn more)
Listen to pablo.... Pablo is wise :wink:
Jake, a year ago, I wouldn't have agreed with that statement. However, now, I would definately agree. I commend Pablo for his knowledge.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am saying that it WILL spin both of them if i give it alot of gas but if i just sort of jump on and only give it a little gas it a little it only spins one. Could this be that i am sitting on that side b/c it will spin the right front easy but if i mash it it will spin both. My car does have some type of posi or something b/c if it is dry out i will leave 2 tire marks.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
you dont have a posi, its a differental, hmmm how to put this, lets see when you really jump on it, the motor is sending enough power to break both wheels loose making them spin. when you just jump on it in a small burst its only enough power to make the one wheel spin and to much power to just make your car jump forward without spinng the wheels. i think i got that right, anyone correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
kaseobeer2585 said:
you dont have a posi, its a differental,
Hmmm, how to put this, you have a differential in EVERY FWD transmission whether or not they have some for of limitied slip device is a choice each manufacturer makes. You can always buy a LSD, but for now just settle for the open diff that you have. :wink:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
sorry but im the only one here with a Limited Slip Diff....

:p

:moon:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
black, you telling that to me or the other guy? FWD arent the only cars that have to have a diff, all wheel drives do to
EVERY CAR HAS A DIFFERENTIAL ! :roll:

its weather or not the differential has inside it a traction aiding devise.

FWD RWD AWD.. 4WD.. they all have differentials... as to if its an open diff, LSD, Posi-trac, Eaton Locker, Detroit Locker, Auburn style, Thorson style, air locker, the list goes on...

the only time you dont have a "Diff" is when you have a SPOOL for drag cars...

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
kaseobeer2585 said:
black, you telling that to me or the other guy? FWD arent the only cars that have to have a diff, all wheel drives do to :wink:
4wheel drive, and All wheel drive use a transfer case to distribute the power to the axles. And rear wheel drive just has the driveshaft to the rear axle. The differentials are in the axles there. FWD is the only TRANSMISSION that has a differential in it. ;-)

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
v6h.o. said:
EVERY CAR HAS A DIFFERENTIAL ! :roll:
See my previous post. He was speaking solely of the transmission, not the car in general.

·
Registered
5 Posts
kaseobeer2585 said:
you dont have a posi, its a differental, hmmm how to put this, lets see when you really jump on it, the motor is sending enough power to break both wheels loose making them spin. when you just jump on it in a small burst its only enough power to make the one wheel spin and to much power to just make your car jump forward without spinng the wheels. i think i got that right, anyone correct me if i'm wrong
you got that right on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.