J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do I remove the old locks?

My door key is in horrible shape so I got new black locks with keys to install. I already have the door panel off.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
girlracer said:

My door key is in horrible shape so I got new black locks with keys to install. I already have the door panel off.
Hallie, there's a plastic clip that holds the lock rod onto the cylinder. First, that turns ~90* then the rod pops out.

Then, just pull the metal spring clip off the cylinder. It slides off. You'll probably need to grab it with a pair of channel locks, they're on pretty tight. Wear gloves and long sleeves - you're gonna wind up smashing your hand into the door frame.

Installation is reverse of removal..

- Frank

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now my dad removed the rod the connects to the door handle, i know where it goes on the handle but not where it connects to and now he took off... fiqures he's worthless as most men are in my life :lol: next i'll be asking everyone how to change a fuel pump in my driveway by myself. sorry just venting.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
88ragtop said:
girlracer said:

Hallie, there's a plastic clip that holds the lock rod onto the cylinder. First, that turns ~90* then the rod pops out.

Then, just pull the metal spring clip off the cylinder. It slides off. You'll probably need to grab it with a pair of channel locks, they're on pretty tight. Wear gloves and long sleeves - you're gonna wind up smashing your hand into the door frame.

Installation is reverse of removal..

Jeezzz Frank!!!!!! It doesn't get any better than that!!!!! You know your stuff bro!!!!! The metal spring is the only tough part. You will definately need to where you some long sleeves or gloves because if not there on there so tight that when you pull and finally get it you will hit the side of the metal in the door. But good luck Hallie!!!!

- Frank

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
girlracer said:
Now my dad removed the rod the connects to the door handle, i know where it goes on the handle but not where it connects to and now he took off... fiqures he's worthless as most men are in my life :lol: next i'll be asking everyone how to change a fuel pump in my driveway by myself. sorry just venting.
:lol: Need me to take my panel off and snap a pic of my handle assembly for you Hallie?

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
blackwidowz24 said:
Jeezzz Frank!!!!!! It doesn't get any better than that!!!!! You know your stuff bro!!!!! The metal spring is the only tough part.
Without exaggeration, you could count the number of bolts I haven't had out of my vert on your fingers. But thanks for the compliment :)

girlracer said:
Now my dad removed the rod the connects to the door handle, i know where it goes on the handle but not where it connects to and now he took off... fiqures he's worthless as most men are in my life next i'll be asking everyone how to change a fuel pump in my driveway by myself. sorry just venting.
Hallie, the rod from the handle goes right down to the latch assembly. So does the rod from the lock cylinder. If he pulled both off, it wont be too hard to figure out which tab on the latch is which - the spring loaded goes to the handle, the "2 position" one goes to the lock cylinder.

I thought I had an exploded diagram, but I can't find it. If I do, I'll post..

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i got the pass. side off tonight ended up painting my door jams.

i shouldn't have anymore problems with it now, since i know how it works.

i've just still got a lot to do to get this car to the bash 3 more weekends left and i have plans this weekend and the weekend of the 16th. so i'm just frustated cause i want it done so i can drive it and test it before driving to iowa.

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
girlracer said:
i want it done so i can drive it and test it before driving to iowa.
I feel your pain there...I want the Z to drive for a while before I try taking it cross country but I'm running out of time. If I don't get it running this weekend, I'll likely be driving the Cobalt. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.