J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something is wrong with my power door lock on the passenger side and and i tried taking the door panel off so i could get at it and take a look. I got the retaing clips out but there was still something holding the door lock and i couldn't get it off anyone know what i gotta do? And while were here anyone know whats wrong with my door lock whenever you hit the button you can hear it moving in the door but it doesn't move the slider thing and hence the door doesn't lock or unlock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
There are 2 screws in the black piece surounding the door handle. Did you get those out? One is in the track where the lock slider runs, the other is behind a plastic piece that pops out from behind the door handle. The bottom piece of the door pannel should seperate from the top half once you get all the screws out from along the bottom. There are then some bolts you have to remove that you can't get to until the bottom piece is out of the way. Once all the bolts and screws are out, the upper half of the panel is removed by pulling up, and out. The top of it has a lip that overhangs the top of the door, so you have to pull up to get it off of the lip. Hopefully this helps. I have had the actuator go bad on the pasenger side, then a year later a metal piece broke off which connected the actuator to the door lock, so I had to weld it back on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i got both those screws out and the the two bolts under the arm rest but it seamed like something was holding the slider cause i got the back part of the door lifted off but when i tried lifting off the front it was still attached somewhere and i can't figure out where

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I had a similar problem in an 89 ones (not mine) there was just a broken wire in the rubber boot between the door and the body, poped it off, and sodered it, taped it and BINGO she worked... while you have the panel off try testing for power, if not more than likely that aculator or whatever it's called.. can't remember.

thats the prob with mine, (but it's the drivers door) i'll just unlock uit with the key, and the passanger power lock works fine =)

the lazy way out.

·
Registered
725 Posts
your most likely missing the little red piece that connects the doohicky that moves to your lock rod. :) mine's missing too and i'm gonna go to the junkyard in about 15 minutes to find a new one so i can put my door back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts