J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive this ridiculous question but I am having severe problems getting to the drivebelt tension adjuster. I just replaced my alternator but can't seem to even get in to see exactly where my tension adjuster is. Which pulley is it? With the rad lines, power steering pump and AC in the way I can't see much. I would like to know what I have to take apart to get at it. This is my first time I have worked on 3.1 let alone a chev. I used to be an old school Ford man and they didn't have tension adjusters like these in the day. Is there a site with good pics or diagrams for this? Thanks for any input!! This site is great for so many things about this car.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
You don't have to take anything apart to get to the pulley. There isnt much room to get down there, but it is accessible. There is a small square hole in it so that you can insert a breaker bar to get leverage to move it up so you can get the belt back on. Of you can reach down and pull up on it as hard as you can with your hand. That isn't very easy to do, but if you don't have a breaker bar...

Anyway, here is a pic I altered, pointing out its location.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, that's so helpful. I feel so stupid. Oh well... just learning this engine.
Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts