J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon further inspection of my new (second hand) Z24, it already has the rear bumper cut to accept dual exhaust! Cool!

Since money is pretty tight right now, I was thinking of taking off the stock muffler and getting an exhaust shop to weld me in a "Y" just in front of the axle.Then from the "Y" i'll have one pipe going to the right and one going to the left. Then I'll top it off with 2 Flowtech straight-through glasspack mufflers and then finally some dual tips...thus giving me quad outlets.

mufflers : $29.99 ea.
tips : $26.99 ea.
labor : give or take $75.00

So there we go dual exhaust with quad outs for under $200 Cnd.
Does this sound like a good idea?
Let me know your opinions.
Later

·
Registered
599 Posts
The cheapest price I was quoted to do this was $300 to cut and bend pipes from a y pipe to duel exhaust. If you Y the exhaust after the axle you will be making sharp bends to the mufflers. Most shops do the Y before the axle.Why not a Single inlet Duel outlet muffler made into Duels?

isaacs93cavi

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's also a pretty good idea. I just figured that 2 mufflers would flow like a b*tch! I will see what the guy at the exhaust shop says

Later

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have Duels on a 4.0 Cherokee, and I really don't notice much difference other than sound from the mufflers. You also have to take in account the added weight to your J from another muffler.

isaacs93cavi RS 4-Door 2.2 15.9 @85mph

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think this could be a good do it yourself thing? I have a welder and I could pick up a bunch of various exhaust pieces from Canadian Tire and maybe I could do this myslef... If I do do it myself I will use a single inlet dual outlet muffler. (much easier) I'm leaning towards a Flowtech Terminator with a 2 1/4 inlet and two 2 1/4 outlets. The only tuff thing would be making all the brackets to hang the muffler and dual exhaust pipe...

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would use flex-pipe to make the bends. As for the hangers I looked under my Jeep and they mounted hangers in the place of old ones and on top of the Axle.

isaacs93cavi 2.2 4-door RS 15.9 @85mph

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I got it installed today. This setup sounds pretty good (loud, but good...). I went with my original idea of getting a "Y" installed just after my axle, then it "Y"'s off into two 2.25 pipes with then connect to two Flowtech glasspacks, finnally into quad tips.
Install cost me $100 Cnd. They did a perfect job too! My Cavy now sounds like no other one I've hard and what I really wanted was quad tips and I got both for a bit over two hundred bones installed.

I will try to snap a few pics and add them to my registry.

Later.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey mars man where did you get it done, Trans canada? or the muffler shop?

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carline Muffler
1005 Lorne street
675-1818

They did a perfect job! I was impressed and for $100 I could not beat that price around here.

If you call, ask them about the guy that put dual exhaust on his Cavalier Z24. They'll know who you're talking about,

Later.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pics have been added...they're crappy, but not too bad for a disposeable camera. It was also too dark.

Is that how you write "disposeable"?

Later.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Man, that's wicked. Now all you need is a spoiler to replace that luggage rack and you're all set.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Gunman,

When I first bought the car, I wanted to tie that granny rack up to a fire hydrant and drive off, leaving it behind...but the more I look at that thing the more I like it...it's kinda growing on me. I don't think I'll replace it.

Later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm getting the same thing done to my car this thursday! the glasspacks and quad out, same deal... i'll have pics of mine up too hopefully.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.