J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought and installed some new fog lights today. One of the two lights was DOA, but of course I didn't know this until I had wired up the whole freaking car, and the set I bought were the last ones in the store (yay). Hopefully it's just the bulb.

Anyways, my question:
I just know that I'm going to kill my battery if i don't wire them to an accessory wire. Right now i've got it wired off the same wire powering my amp.
Where's a good accessory wire to run the power from? I need something very accessible, as I don't want to rip apart my dash and don't know very much about car wiring.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, my concern is that my forgetful self will leave them on overnight or something...
I want to hook it into accessory power so that when I turn the car off, the fogs go off automatically.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
This is how I wired mine up. I believe I just used the accessory wire that goes to the stereo. Should be the red wire

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bah... stupid, stupid me
my "DOA" light was actually fine (now of course I find this out after I've returned it)

The problem was the grounding... apparently the my PAINT is extremely good at insulating electricity. I had to scrape some paint off the inside of the engine bay to get them grounded and working.

And of course now I've got one light (the old one) that's quite a bit brighter than the new one, probably because they were made at completely different times. I might just replace both bulbs and that will hopefully make them the same brightness.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Moon's way will probably work, but if your fogs draw a lot of power, it might be better to do it this, slightly more complicated way.

Here's how you can get them to work on accessory power only. Go to Radio Shack or similar store, and buy something called an auto relay. Make sure it can handle at least 5 Amps, and has four prongs on the bottom. It's basically a switch that is only turned on when it is being fed power. It shouldn't cost more than $10. Then find your radio, and find the accessory power wire. Depending on the stereo you use, it should be red or yellew, though I'm not sure exactly. (If you're not sure which one it is, test it with a 12V tester by clipping one test lead to an exposed area on the wire, and the other to a booster cable attached to a metal part inside your hood. If it's the right wire, the test light should come on only when you have the key turned to acc or eng.) Tap into this wire without cutting it, and use it and any grouind wire to activate the relay. (The relay instructions should explain how to wire it properly.) Wire up your fogs as normal, except instead of the long white wier going straight to the fogs, it should first have to pass through the switching side of the relay.

[ This Message was edited by: brantk on 2001-09-07 23:31 ]

·
Registered
246 Posts
y splice when you can get an acc on power from the fuse box. a use the relay not only will they be brighter but you wont melt your switch and you dont have to worry about running a lot of power threw the firewall.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just wired my fog lights directly to the parking lights, no problems and i have had them in for 3 months now

Pretty simple
1. Take out the parking light on ONE side
2. Find the black wire, that is the grounding wire
3. The wire you need to splice will be on the other side of the grounding wire, the middle wire will not be used
4. Run the power wire from the fog lights and twist it together with the spliced wire of the parking light
5. Ground the fog lights and turn on your parking lights and your fogs will turn on.

This was a very resourceful way to wire fog lights seeing you wont have to worry about extra switches

·
Registered
306 Posts
How would i wire it up through the relay but keeping it with the parking lights?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Get like a 30 amp relay from the parts store. They should have them in the same section as the fog lights. Pretty simple to wire up, and it should protect your wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts