J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
I really hope you do not expect the Ecotec to bolt into a 1st or 2nd gen, since the mounts are very different and will most likely need to be completly custom, even a newer 660 (3100/3400) needs a custom mount made.

Exhaust will be completly custom, maybe even some suspension parts, like the sway bar as this needs to be changed in a 1st or 2nd gen when going from a 4 cyl to a V6, you may be able to use the V6 sway bar with the Ecotec, throttle cables, PCM will be an issue, as it integrates with the 3rd gens they come out of on a level that is much higher than how the 1st or 2nd gen systems are, there is actually a data bus that conects many of the factory modules together.

You will need to bypass (or integrate) the Passlok system that is in the BCM/PCM of the Ecotec conrtrols, which also run through the gauge cluster. You may be able to modify an older ECM to run the engine, but will take extensive recalibration to do so.

This is a swap that you do not want to jump into with out doing very extensive research, mostly due to the engine controls, since an engine that does not run is just a big paper weight, that happens to be installed in a vehicle. ;)

· Registered
2,148 Posts
the_raven said:
This is a swap that you do not want to jump into with out doing very extensive research, mostly due to the engine controls, since an engine that does not run is just a big paper weight, that happens to be installed in a vehicle. ;)
you callen my car a big paper weight j/k :lol: yea man like the raven said if ya wanna do this swap be prepaired to do wireing up the ying yang and with the amount of parts needed i would suggest you buy a donar car which can be expensice also the 2003 cavaliers you cannot get service manuals to them and in order to get technical info ie diagrams you basically need access to the gm technical site which is like 10 000 a year :D but you maybe abel to find a local dealer ship etc... willing to allow you use good luck :D just an idea i donno if it would work but maybe swap for the eco dash and then use the dash wiring from the eco car this could help a little bit

· Registered
6,939 Posts
yes it is most likely cheaper to just buy a third gen with the eco already (and that's still what? 10 g's? ) and no you cannot put a second gen body on a thirdgen "one" j bodies are unibody constructed, which menas there is no "frame" as in typical vehicles, everything is incorporated

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No im not talking about buying a new one, im talking about a used one. I meant if it was posible to modify 2nd gen panels to make a 3rd gen look like a 2nd gen?

· Registered
2,148 Posts
dailydriverz said:
man you can't make a turd (3rd gen) into gold (2nd gen)!!!
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nice but yea no lick on that one man the roof lines are diff so is quartar panels sooooo many things man!!!! to many to list thats why its a third gen

· Registered
582 Posts
dailydriverz said:
yes it is most likely cheaper to just buy a third gen with the eco already (and that's still what? 10 g's? ) and no you cannot put a second gen body on a thirdgen "one" j bodies are unibody constructed, which menas there is no "frame" as in typical vehicles, everything is incorporated
Uhhh...last time I checked, all J cars are unibody. :)

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
zliner89 said:
dailydriverz said:
Uhhh...last time I checked, all J cars are unibody. :)
Umm, If you re-read Daily's post, you will see that is what he's saying. ;)

tinytim12333 said:
So i cant just go and chop down a 3rd gen and slap a 2nd gen body on there?
Umm, it would be cheaper and easier to do the engine swap, than the body panel swap, if that's any indication of what might be involved. ;)

· Registered
59 Posts
Don't make the same mistake i did. the 2.2 litrewill not fit uder the hood of a 2nd gen, the mounts make the engine too wide, and listen little buddy you do need the engine mounts. with you i figured i better tune you up on that one, now on the fitting of the engie, you see after you bolt you eco-2.2 to the trans min was five speed, you will not get the twin into the engine bay it's too wide to make a motor mount, hell just to make it go into the cage i had to disasemble the pullys and the timing system in rder to get it in there, i figured that if i did i may be able to put it all back together in the car after mounting, dude don't do it, but on second hand if you really want to try it ill sell my eco-2.2 for $3800 that,s the best price for a non scratched non fucked with eco youll find

· Registered
3,135 Posts
j-bodycustomz said:
Don't make the same mistake i did. the 2.2 litrewill not fit uder the hood of a 2nd gen, the mounts make the engine too wide, and listen little buddy you do need the engine mounts. with you i figured i better tune you up on that one, now on the fitting of the engie, you see after you bolt you eco-2.2 to the trans min was five speed, you will not get the twin into the engine bay it's too wide to make a motor mount, hell just to make it go into the cage i had to disasemble the pullys and the timing system in rder to get it in there, i figured that if i did i may be able to put it all back together in the car after mounting, dude don't do it, but on second hand if you really want to try it ill sell my eco-2.2 for $3800 that,s the best price for a non scratched non fucked with eco youll find
A little info.. it's even tight to get a 3.1L and 5 speed tranny out the top of a cavi.. the 5 speed it longer then a 3 speed auto and hooks under the body on the drivers side.. You could probley make your mounts and fit the motor in better if you put it in through the bottem..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.