J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car overheated today and noticed that the engine cooling fan wasn't coming on. Replaced the fan motor because I was told it solved the problem 9 times out of 10, guess I'm the lonely 1 that's not included. Fan still won't come on on my 94 Z24, what else could be wrong?

-Spnosa

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Your cooling fan relay is probably busted. I have never ever seen a cooling fan go bad :-? . Its usually the cooling fan relay. Its only $20 for a new relay .
Oh and welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
yeah i would put my money on the fan relay, its a 1" x 1" sqaure box right behind the batery, its relativly cheap and its a plug in job, takes about 2 seconds to fix ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
markeemsz said:
Your cooling fan relay is probably busted. I have never ever seen a cooling fan go bad :-? . Its usually the cooling fan relay. Its only $20 for a new relay .
Thanks for your help, that was the problem and everything is fixed and working smoothly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
i have the same problem, exept i'm really cheap, so i just hooked it up to the power wire for my deck and put a switch on it, so it's on when the ignition's on

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
spnosaz24 said:
markeemsz said:
Thanks for your help, that was the problem and everything is fixed and working smoothly. Thanks again.

No problem.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
look markeem is learning!!!!!! lmao.......i remeber when you couldnt even change a light bulb ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Can the cooling fan relay go bad and still work once in a while? I dropped my new motor in the 94 Cav, and upon the test start-up, the fan didn't come on when it was supposed to.
Under dash fuse was good, power is getting to the relay, power seems to get THRU the relay. The temp sensor looks like new, it still has white teflon tape on it's threads.
After playing around with it a few minutes, the fan came on, so I know the fan itself works, but it didn't seem to operate on a consistent basis.

The Snap-On computer was reading my engine temp the whole time, but once in a while, the reading on the computer jumped down to -58 degrees. Not sure what happened there, but could that be a faulty relay? Or maybe a characteristic of a wire going bad?

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
usually when the relay goes its an all out crap out, it wouldnt even work some of the time, i would first check for any loose wires or bad connections, then if all else fails replace the relay, its only like a $20 part and if you replace it then you wont have to worry about it o a long while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.