J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, this is one topic I will fully admit I know barely anything about, automotive paint. I only know basic things like what Clear Coat paint is versus others, and that you best use primer first. But now that I have my 3400 Top End parts, I bought some Reflective Silver Polish engine enamel to paint them with before I install them. The directions claim primer is not needed on most applications but is required for bare metal, so I got some Aluminum Primer (A hideous yellow unfortunately) and suddenly it hit me; Does primer have a high temperature resistance, or will it crack as if I used exterior paint on the engine?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I used primer on my aluminum engine parts before painting and thus far there have been no problems with heat cracking it or anything. Just make sure you clean the surface to be painted really well otherwise you WILL get fish eyes in the primer.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
91firecav said:
I know the local shop around here carries high temp primer and spray paint for engine blocks, i bet you may find these paints locally around where you live. I believe made by duplicolor, good luck.
Well I don't know I was in the Canuck Tire and they carry Duplicolor, all they had was ordinary grey and red primers, as well as Aluminum primer in yellow (which is what I got) and self-etch primer (Uses acid). I didn't want to use the self-etch because I was afraid the viscosity of the acid is formulated for more resistant metals as opposed to Aluminum. I looked and saw no special engine primer... I guess I'll use the Aluminum primer and if it cracks I'll just have to go get the engine enamel again and make sure to find an engine primer. I'll also be using a clear engine finish on top of two light coats of the engine enamel. It should look nice. I'm not doing the block though, just the upper plenum, lower manifold, and both valve covers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.