J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering... Would it be possible to fit a 5.7L LT1 Camaro or 350 ci 5.7L Trans Am engine into a Z24 without butchering the engine bay and/or the hood and/or without putting the engine so low to the ground that it scrapes over speed bumps?

·
Registered
202 Posts
there is no way it would fit without a total butcher job.

first of all it would not bolt up to the tranny and you would have to get a rwd tranny and then cut the floor for a driveshaft, whew NO WAY!!!!!

But it would be cool!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought so... OK what is the absolute highest HP you can get out of a 3.1L Z24 engine without spending over $6800 US in mods. And of course excluding Nos, I mean regular running power. Does anyone know the answer to that question?
-Devin Webb

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Note for my previous post:
The mods to increase the HP can include everything but Nos, meaning Turbo or Super charging, etc... Everything.
-Devin Webb (I estimate 260-280HP)

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, not sure how much Curtis Walker - http://www.turboz24.com has spent, but he has speculated (key word is speculated, he hasn't gotten it dynoed) around 600HP at 25lbs of boost. Of course he just exploded a CV joint at the track the other day, runing only 12psi and slicks.

The numbers you are thinking are a lot more reasonable for a reliable engine. Just strapping on a turbo or supercharger on the stock engine will get you up to over 200HP. That is at about 9psi. If you do internal mods, lower the compression etc, you can probably run about 15lbs of boost pretty safely, which will get you up around those estimated numbers, maybe more...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sorry, but I am having a brain fart. A turbo engine benefits from lower compression. And a normal engine benefits from a higher compression. Am I right? What about a super charger?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yes. Any form of forced induction (turbo or supercharger) benefits from lower compression, because then more boost can be applied without having to run racing gas to avoid spark knock. NA engines can get more power by upping the compression, but you may need to run primo gas, or the timeing will be retarded by the computer so the engine won't knock, and that will take away the performance gain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you think a 2.3 Quad 4 would fit? It would be interesting to find out the performance of a quad 4 cavalier compared to the V6 and twin cam.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Your talking about the 1990-94 2.3L HO Quad 4 from the Beretta GTZ (180 HP)or the W-41 in the Olds Calais and Acheiva (190 HP), I presume? It dropped down to 150 HP in 95 when it went into the Z24 for one year before switching to the 2.4. I think this was done because of reliability issues. Sure, it would physically fit no problem. Dunno if it would bolt up well though. Maybe its just me, but if I was going to go through all the work of an engine swap, I wouldn't be decreasing the displacement. Sure that HO 2.3 may make some more power, but I just wouldn't want to put a smaller, less reliable engine in my car than what it came with

·
Registered
246 Posts
i have a ?? y does everyone think of nitrous as cheating?? The way i have always looked at it is you spend money to make your car go faster the cheaper the better. And if you think about it if nitrous is cheating then so would a turbo and a supecharger. Nitrous is just as safe as the other two. but who knows i need to relax. its been a long night and that is one thing that drive me nuts

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Not really sure why this notion exists. I guess many people feel you should have to work more to get that much more power. And the fact that the power isn't there all the time, only when you hit a button. I dunno...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your refferring to my excluding Nos from enhancing HP, it's not because I consider it cheating. It's because it's fricken expensive, I'd only use it for a race that involved money, but then I prob wouldn't enter a race that involved money with a souped up Z24 anyways unless it was REALLY souped up and could handle all that power.
-Devin Webb

·
Registered
12 Posts
PLEASE HELP ME. I OWN A 1992 RS CAVVY AND JUST BLEW UP THE 2.2. I NEED TO REPLACE IT IN A HURRY, BUT I WANT TO GAIN CUBIC LITERS, NOT STAY THE SAME. I KNOW THAT I NEED THE ENGINE,TRANNY,ECU,WIRES,AND HALF-SHAFTS FROM THE Z-24, BUT HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE TO PUT ALL OF THIS STUFF IN IF I COULD GET HER UP IN THE AIR? I NEED TO KNOW VERY QUICKLY. INSTEAD OF RESPONDING HERE. (YOU CAN DO THAT TOO) BUT PLEASE WRITE TO ME AT [email protected]... I know what i am doing about half-assed and have knowledge about engine's, cars, drivetrain and lots of common sense and the proper tools to do it. i need to know very badly. PLZ REPLY ANYONE WHO CAN HELP, especially anyone who has expierience or knows someone who has expierience. any cutting involved? -Brett Boyer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.