J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I've found an 88 wagon with 27,000 miles on it. However, the engine was overheated and is now shot. It is a 4 cylinder automatic. The body and interior are near perfect. Garage kept Fl car.

I'd like to know if I can use the engine/trans/ecm/gauges/dash/engine wiring from my 94 in it? Well, I'm 100% sure that can be done, but not sure what 'issues' may pop up. Hoping maybe someone can point out anything they can think of. One thing I've thought of is maybe some pigtails on the 94 may not work with some of the 88's connectors? Things of that nature are what I'm concerned with.

So any input on this sort of swap with be very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
94 is a completely different set up multiport instead of throttle body injection. You could use a 2.2 up to 91 without having to change anything. With my 89 wagon, I put a 2.8 in from an 88 z that I scrapped. I had removed all the engine wiring and dash board wiring, along with the complete dash assy. Rather than use the console from the Z I located the cover and mounting bracket for the RS radio/ heater controls, and used that, keeping the original console. I just replaced the original engine wiring with the one from the Z and the dash, wiring and computer from the Z. Everything plugged into the existing body wiring and the only other thing that had to be replaced was the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Frank, very helpful information. I had not thought about the fuel pump, but since you mentioned it, it dawned on me why it has to be changed too.

I'm going to try to get started on the project this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.