J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like all the idea's you've given about the engine swaps but, whats the running cost rate...

my contacts

aim SmokeNum
icq 74623265

please contact me...

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
None of the discussed swaps will work for your 3rd gen cav. The engine bay will not accept a V6 without major hacking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hhhmmmm lil do you know abhout the 3rd generation car than my friend b/c i talked to a guy that swaps engines and different stuff for a living and i told him about the engine that you guy's were telling me about .. and he said why use a pussy engine when i could easily put a 3.8 supercharged in for about $5,000. - $6.000 grad and run low 13's with a cav... he said it would be the only one in the world capible and being street legal *for the cavalier models*

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well it costs around 800bux for the swap, could be more because front wheel drive is harder to swap than rear cuz you gotta pull the tranny. Cavs have little to no space to work in anyway. you can always goto a junk yard, get a 3.1L v6 from a camaro and put that in, then save for a supercharger. engine itself cost around $1k, so for 2large you could get a new engine in there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
by the way i'm talking though the perspective of an 89 z24 owner so i only have a 2.8 i know you newer guys have the 3.1's already but then you could bore a 3.1 to a 3.8

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
If you get a V6 in your 3rd gen, then more power to ya. It is not gona fit real well, and frame mods may be necessary. Has this guy put a V6 in a 3rd gen cav before!? Probably not. The 3.8 just barely fits in the 2nd gens (no room for PS or AC), and the 3rd gens have even less room under the hood. If you did manage to get it squeezed in, you would probably need a custom hood as well, because the engine would most likely sit too high for the hood to close.

A 3.1 from a camero wont work in our cars (2nd gen). It is set up for RWD. Starter is on the wrong side for one. new holes would have to be drilled in the block. 3.1 out of any other FWD application (lumina, corsica beretta) would bolt up fine though.

And a 3.1 can't be bored out to 3.8. The piston walls are only thick enough to get to about 3.3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, u could be right and that might be why i'm gonna stick to the 3.1 do a super charger on that and 50 shot of NOS...

·
Registered
67 Posts
yea i was most likely wrong about the 3.1 bored out into the 3.8, someone told me it could be done but their not really an authority on anything.

I have question, can you run a supercharger with NOS, i know it can be attempted but it it really a good idea? according to the fella's at NOS you shouldn't run NOS with a supercharger...

peace

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, according to the junk yard near my house.. i can get

engine comp
and the
125 tranny all for a grand...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have found that the best way to get parts is to go to your local police aution, that is what i did.

I bought a complete 1990 buick regal with a running 3.1L and an overdrive auto for $250.

Called the local junkyard and they wanted a grand for only a 3.1 so i got a smoking deal too bad i dont want the trany (my cavs a 5 spd) so maybe ill sell it and make my 3.1 FREE. could also sell some of the interior parts or the body panels before i junk er, this car also has 4 wheel disc brakes but i think the pattern is diffrent from the cav but ill have to check.

I would love that 4 wheel disc on mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
well i think that a 3.4 is a 3.1 with differnt crank and pistons. almost like a 305 compared to a 350. I still think other than a bigger engine rip out the old one and re build the old one, for a sm block it around 1200 to 1400 to get a big full frame car in to the high 13's and low 14's think if u had a 2.2 or a 2.4 and found out which crank will fit you can raise the comprression and make it faster, throttle body cold air on top of that but u have to do some reading. so i think that the best way is to go bigger inside. or if it can be done stroke or destroke. i think that if we all find stuff and post it on here we can all have bad ass running cars.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The 3.4 has the same stroke as the 3.1. The 3.1 Bore x Stroke is 89.00 x 84.00 mm, where the 3.4 is 92.00 x 84.00 mm
You can't bore the 3.1 block large enough to get a 3.4, so you can't use the same block because the piston walls aren't thick enough

So, the 3.1 is a stroked 2.8, but the 3.4 isn't a stroked 3.1

G

·
will the v6 out of lets say a 2000 grand am fit into a gen2 cavi, i noticed that there are motor mounts on the top of series 2 3.1's but i dont know if it has a different computer, but to me it seems like the new 3 1's have alot of spunk to them, maybe its how the tranny is set up but if any answers are out there, please reply :-?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
racerjim said:
this car also has 4 wheel disc brakes but i think the pattern is diffrent from the cav but ill have to check.

I would love that 4 wheel disc on mine.
if you have the time and patience you could switch all 4 disc brakes... but it might be more trouble than it's worth.. you'd need new rims off the bat, a new spare tire (from the old car) and the old rims off it for the winter cause your Z rims might not fit./..

but that would be one sweet ass Z =)

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
There is a guy on another forum who has swapped a 3.8 supercharged into a 3rd gen cav. I couldnt get to much info from him because he speaks french and his webssite is in french(he lives in canada). He has several pics for the engine. Man there are hoses and lines sverywhere and it barely, barely fit. I have the 2.4 in my 3rd gen and have installed a turbo kit on it. It will be putting more hp to the wheels than the GTP 3800 supercharged. I will have dynos before the end of this week. My car is in the shop and finished but scheduling a dyno time is the difficult part. hopefully tuesday will be the day. But I have only spend 4000.00 for everything, including gauges, elecctronic bost control and turbo timer. And I will be able to fly by those supercharged 3800. Plus I still have the stock engine and will have no real problems working on it and buying performace parts made for the 2.4 cavalier to use in addition to the turbo kit. Remeber that that engine probably put around 200 hp to the wheels. That 240 hp is rated at the crank. And that engine weighs a lot more and is not as good on gas. A supercharger runs at full boost all of the time because it is belt driven but a turbo is not always running full boost and is actually not too bad on gass if you dont race too much. Maintence is high on a turbo dont get me wrong. A turbo system has to be monitored. But the performance is better and boost can be changed with the flip of a switch where with a supercharger to have to change the size of the pully to change to boost. It cost less and is a more practical upgrade in my opinion(turbo 2.4). But everyone has an opinion so go with what you like and what your needs are. Are you just looking to beat some people on the street or do you want to tear up the track as well? Check out the link to my site for the turbo kit. Good luck with the swap or upgrade either way you go. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Moon,

You said some have done the 3.8 swap. Was that the super charged 3.8's? And If so, Who?

Who ever asked about the supercharger and Nitrous. It is the sam as runnins spray on a turbo car. Go with a wet system. I hope to be turbo charged by the first of the year and that will include N2O. (Hey what do I care, It's just a stupid car. Blow it up.)

HybridZ24

·
Registered
315 Posts
kinda off topic, but is there a clear line of distinction between street-legal and not street-legal? like certain amount or more of hp or anything? or does it vary from vehicle to vehicle?

·
Registered
442 Posts
overdrive auto for $250
You can put that transmission into a 2nd gen cavy??? What kind of modification would that take???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts