J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
andystepper said:
hey..nice to see another saskatchewan member. and no. our cars need back pressure to run properly. a cut-out with only make things worse.
These cars do NOT need backpressure, they need exhaust velocity. A cut-out should be just fine, although unless you have a restrictive exhaust system its doubtful you'll see much of a gain.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Yes! I made one recently.

They are excellent for the track.

Best thing with mine is that it was free, all it took was time.

I installed it just in front of the cat, and the block off plate is bolt on, so I only remove it at the track.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
skunkworks_zed said:
andystepper said:
hey..nice to see another saskatchewan member. and no. our cars need back pressure to run properly. a cut-out with only make things worse.
These cars do NOT need backpressure, they need exhaust velocity. A cut-out should be just fine, although unless you have a restrictive exhaust system its doubtful you'll see much of a gain.
Your engine needs to have a specific amount of back pressure to operate at the optimal performance. I dont understand why you would want to cut a hole in your exhaust, it will only make it sound like shit and run worse... :-?

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
1991z24 said:
skunkworks_zed said:
andystepper said:
Your engine needs to have a specific amount of back pressure to operate at the optimal performance. I dont understand why you would want to cut a hole in your exhaust, it will only make it sound like shit and run worse... :-?
the crappy manifolds take care of the exhaust velocity.. it will gain overall flow and top end power but at the cost of low end torque.

Unless your engine is seriously modified then this is just a way to make more noise.. you won't benefit from it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I took out my cat, and put 2 1/4 inch mandrel bent pipe from the downpipe back, and a straight through muffler its an apexi n1. I prolly don't have much backpressure. As soon as I left the exhaust shop I could tell a major diiference in power. The throttle response was greater, and top end is alot better. I would say an exhaust cutout would prolly help you out more than my setup.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
blondiez24 said:
I took out my cat, and put 2 1/4 inch mandrel bent pipe from the downpipe back, and a straight through muffler its an apexi n1. I prolly don't have much backpressure. As soon as I left the exhaust shop I could tell a major diiference in power. The throttle response was greater, and top end is alot better. I would say an exhaust cutout would prolly help you out more than my setup.
actually you'r setup creates more back pressure than u would think! (bends in pipe :wink: ) and all a cutout unless you'r engine is highly modded will do is make a big loud noise, give you'r car less power, and make alot of people laugh at the track!! (louder dosen't always mean more power)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I personally think the 3.1 sounds awesome with no exhaust system,

I'd do it if its free(with or without power gains), sometimes I just miss my loud car, if you had that, you'd have the choice!

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
scott0999 said:
turbo cars can benefit from it. n/a doesnt as much. thats about it
idk my car had a little more balls open headers but maybe it was a mind thing

1991z24 all i got to say is :lol:

how about the stupid old myth if u run a car with no exhaust it'll burn up the valves

i guess all the cars at the track open headers have no valves but somehow turn out 10-11sec passes

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
skeezix said:
This will be completely free because my brother bought it for his turbo shadow but it was too small so he just made one him self but took it off and runs no exhaust and hasn't had any problems at all.
The difference is that his is turbo and your's is not

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.