J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this question might seem a lil dumb but i'm a little confused too. I hear all these 4 bangers with the fart cannons on whatever the car and it seems that the higher the rpm they get to the louder their exhaust gets. Whereas with my car after about 3000 rpms, i dont hear the exhaust at all, or very little with my magnaflow muffler. Is this the muffler? Or the engine doing this? Or am i just crazy and this is a stupid thread?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
it's all about camshafts. most 4 cyl engines are geared more for high end torque and hp so the engine arent' gasping for air like ours in the upper rpms. thats why our engines get quiet. or at least that what i think the reason is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the reason it gets quieter up high is because as more exhaust gases go through the muffler, there's more gas to expand and bounce around off the baffles, canceling the shock waves entering the muffler from the pipe. That's my theory, anyway. In a straight muffler, there aren't really any baffles, just perforations usually, and it's a straight shot.

By the way, do any of you have a problem getting an inspection sticker because of your mufflers? My guy said he'd be able to "overlook" a Flowmaster. Ricers have straight friggin pipes. What a jackass. :x

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
a performance muffler won't fail you during an imspection. as long as there are no leaks you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,738 Posts
banchee_z said:
By the way, do any of you have a problem getting an inspection sticker because of your mufflers? My guy said he'd be able to "overlook" a Flowmaster. Ricers have straight friggin pipes. What a jackass. :x
You can tell him to "overlook" the finger you can give him and tell him to inspect it anyway. They won't cause any emissions problems and like EasyE said as long as everything else is in good condition you'll be alright.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
my dynomax is loudest between 2000 and 2800 its a straight through pipe

·
Registered
113 Posts
my '90 z rumbles a idle and quiets down aroun 3500 then gets loud again around 4500-5000. i also run straight thru with a y-pipe out to two 4.5" ractive tips on a 3.1 6cyl

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.