J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should i get an exhaust system or a chip with accel dis. cap and rotor. Currently i have K&N filter, Accel Wires, AC Delco Rapidfire sparkplugs, Crane Cams Fireball coil, stock exhaust system, stock chip, and stock cap and rotor. What would be the best thing for me to purchase and see incredible amounts of performance gains? Crane cam's cam shaft? I currently drive (sorta) a 1986 Z24 w/ 2.8L v6. I am 15 years old and want to finish modding my car before i drive my cavy to school. (not old enought to).

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, considering your car is fuel injected, I wouldn't get a distributor cap and rotor, since our cars don't have distributors. They have a Distributorless, or Direct Ignition System (DIS). Ignition is taken care of by 3 coil packs.
Your best gains would probably come from the cam, but that would also be the most work to put in, since the engine has to come out of the car to get it in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not so much right or wrong, his idea is feasibly correct. You may have to work more for this mod, but it will have the most gain effect.
I would do the exhaust, because its no use in having more air coming into the engine if it cant expel it better than stock.
Go with a catback system with 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inch pipe.
Once the exhaust is done, any other mod made to the engine will be enhanced due to the better flowing system. Just my opinion.
Good luck man.
BTW, its nice to see someone as young as you fixing up a car before driving. I think you may appreciate the car a litte more when you finally do drive her.
I commend you in your love for the automobile. Later.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I checked your engine mods, and I'm a little concerned with your throttle body bypass, the hose looks kinked. For that to work effectively, you need a hose molded in that shape so that it won't kink at the bend. Though I must say I'm impressed with all you've done, I recommend you go with Eclipse speakers when you kill the ones you have in. Kudos.

[ This Message was edited by: antipode on 2001-07-26 02:16 ]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, that is not my site, although i will build one soon i think. Not as good as moonwell's though.

But what you guys think, i could get the 86 cavalier tech. book with all the info on my 60 degree v6 small block engine? Then would you think i should go for the cam? Misnblu--- where you referring to the cam or the cap and rotor? And also, for next year (that when i am going to start driving) should i save up for a supercharger? I might have to get my headers changed right? and also have my compression ratio lowered... Anyway, my dad is against me modding that old car cuz he thinks it is not worth it. Its kinda expensive for a new exhaust system. About 400 bucks around my area (Meineke). Also, i did the throttle body heater bypass and i can feel a difference in the performance. I really need to get that chip with the thermo cuz i keeps overheating down here south (georgia). Well once my site is up, i will post some pics also of my one of a kind Hatchback Z!!!

[ This Message was edited by: hciprez on 2001-07-26 13:50 ]

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hciprez, I was referring to the cam. You can get a comp cam which is friendly to the computer in your car. That and the new chip, youll get the most gains. Just remember that youll need to free up the airflow into and out of the engine to realize the most results. Good luck. Tell your Dad he should be proud for you to work on a car. Its a great hobby (next to women) and keeps you out of trouble. Later.
heavy handed Dads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.